How Far Do You Commute ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

76km return - 80km if I take the scenic route home - mind you I did 104Km last friday - rarely drive to work - twice this month - usually when I need to be in super early or am leaving late. Looking forward to getting soaked tomorrow!
80km = about 50 miles.
5 days a week.
Impressive.
How long does the 25 mile trip take ?

martint235

Dog on a bike
22 miles round trip 5 days a week, every week. Planning on using the MTB if it snows this year and have fitted it with SPDs just in case.

I also really look forward to the ride even in the rain. Having done a couple of longish rides (FNRttCs etc) in the rain, I find it really doesn't bother me anymore (although I do bring a spare pair of cycling socks in with me, can't abide putting wet socks on at the end of the day!)

ajb

Mine is 3mls to work then ususally do between 15 & 30mls after work, apart from club nights (Tue & Thur) when I go straight home and do 30/40 mile club run.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
22 miles round trip 5 days a week, every week. Planning on using the MTB if it snows this year and have fitted it with SPDs just in case.

I also really look forward to the ride even in the rain. Having done a couple of longish rides (FNRttCs etc) in the rain, I find it really doesn't bother me anymore (although I do bring a spare pair of cycling socks in with me, can't abide putting wet socks on at the end of the day!)

Yup rain's no bother. Though the noise of rain on my conservatory roof woke me up this morning. I thought AAAGGGHHH.. seeing as Tuesday's commute was so wet. But always take a change of gear in the pannier for the trip home.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Mine is about 7 miles each way, but a couple of times a week I go via a trip to the swimming pool, which increases my morning commute to about 12 miles.

I try to take the MTB once a week, and go the long way (14 miles) in the morning though fields and a purpose built MTB track.

I've also started to try and cycle in fixed gear once a week - But that's a new thing, and it's hard work on the way back! (about 600 feet of climbing if I go "the flat" way :rolleyes:).

Swimming before work - now thats impressive.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

wish i could a commute its only 16 miles to work but need to be fresh when i get there other wise i feel hot and horrible etc. asked at work for

a shower to be fitted but no

Ye know what you mean i cycle to jobs and you do run the risk of turning up looking like a lunatic but it is a talking point . Im usually only on site a short while so its not a real problem whereas all day and no shower would be.

onlyplugintown

Have a choice of 6 miles by road or 11 miles by shared cycle path (travelling at about 6am so very few peds/ dog walkers), it all depends how many times I hit the snooze button!

Atomic_18

I have been doing 28-30 miles a day (14/15 miles each way), 5 days a week on my slick-ed up MTB.

Takes between 50 mins and 1 hour usually (each way - although the way back is more uphill than down)

Been doing that since giving up the car in April.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well done for some of the commutes on here... so here is a shameless plug for CycleChats MyCyclingLog team

Register here to log your rides. There is a bit of rivalry going on with our Aussie cousins, so those who are not currently logging, your mileage would be very welcome.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

I'm a home care assistant in birmingham and area so I move around a lot i have one day in wolverhampton about 36 miles that day 1-day in redditch about 28 miles that day and the other days average at about 16miles for short 1-3mile trips round brum
I think cycling around birmingham must be interesting.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

wish i could a commute its only 16 miles to work but need to be fresh when i get there other wise i feel hot and horrible etc. asked at work for

a shower to be fitted but no

You can freshen up pretty well with a hand basin and a towel.

Top Bottom