How Far Do You Commute ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Sadly I live 1.8m from work, so choose to do 16m-28m circuits after work every day
biggrin.gif

Every day - you must positively enjoy it.
:thumbsup:

onlyplugintown

I have a choice of 6 miles by busy road with a half mile descent at the end or 11 by shared cycle path with a 2 mile climb at the end, try to take the longer route most mornings but sometimes hit the snooze button once too many times!

rowan 46

Über Member
I'm a home care assistant in birmingham and area so I move around a lot i have one day in wolverhampton about 36 miles that day 1-day in redditch about 28 miles that day and the other days average at about 16miles for short 1-3mile trips round brum

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

It's actually quicker than getting the train though!

40 mins on bike, lovely shower when I get to work V 1hr 20 on trains with miserable people who love standing in the doorway, even though said train is far from full and tutting when you ask them to move down.

In london non folding bikes arnt allowed on the trains during rush hour - although usually you get away with it.
Understandable really that they wish to deter muddy bikes contaminating the pristine business people .

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
25 miles round trip. I use wet wipes & towel to freshen up when I get there, and a change of clothes.

Just under 50 minutes there and just under an hour back (more uphill).

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Yeah, I'm in London. Much prefer cycling to overground though (even if it does have aircon!) Only prob is if I want to go out after work as there is no shitting way I am leaving my beloved outside after dark!

Overground is much better since they got the nice new trains.
Thats part of the quandry of owning a decent bike im afraid , ive no such problems .

blindmanpugh

10 miles on main roads or 12 miles on back roads (with only 1 mile on an "A" road) usually 2 or 3 times per week. Another guys at work drives 35 miles, parks his car, then cycles the last 8 miles to and from work every day.

Also as I am 55 people think i am bonkers to cycle to and from work.

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

Mine is about 7 miles each way, and takes 30 mins (less if I'm on my Croix de Fer).

When I started it was quite tiring, but now I hardly break a sweat, so I've started doing 10-15 miles home, on the days when I don't have the boy on the back.
So when you do the 7 miles do you have your son on the back of the bike ?
Otherwise 10 to 15 vg.

barongreenback

Über Member
Or cure you !
20 miles round trip is a nice distance.
Somebody must do 80 miles though surely.

The cure is already working. Down from nearly 19 stone to just under 16.5. Another stone would make those hills a damned sight easier!

It is a nice round trip though - enough hills to make it a bit of a challenge and some good bus lanes to get up to a decent speed. My average speed on the uphill return journey has gone from 10.5mph to over 15mph in 9 months so pretty happy about that.

cyclegeek

8 miles each way but if the weather is nice I usally extend the ride home to between 12 and 15 miles. I never extend it before work because then I would lose time in bed. :biggrin:

OP
OP
apollo179

apollo179

I have 2 routes.
The direct route is 13 miles each way, of which I rarely do.

My usual longer route is 18 miles in, 17 miles home, so a 35 mile round commute most days.
I also commute in all weathers apart from ice and/or snow.
35 miles is pretty good. Any scr thrown in for good measure ?

Top Bottom