How far do you get on an hour long ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lambchop

Hi,
I am currently trying to get myself back into peak condition, I'm out on my bike approx three times a week. The terrain around here is rather hilly (Chilterns) and I always push myself by going further each week and only stopping for a quick drink. The question is; is an average speed of 14.7mph reasonable at my (beginners) level? What do the more experienced riders average per hour?
Thanks.

Noodley

Depends if I'm going up the hill or down the hill :biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Depends on the roads I'm riding, and the bike. Training on fast A and B roads I might do 20 miles or more (not much more!). Round the lanes with hills etc. somewhere between 14-16 usually.

OP
OP
Lambchop

Lambchop

Cool, just checking I'm not totally useless! Obviously I've much to build on, will be putting a couple more threads on my progress in the fitness section. Once I get fit(ter) that is! Cheers.

bonk man

Our club rides usually bat along at 16 mph on the flat bits and 14 on the hillier routes [ this is over about 65-75 miles though ] so you are doing ok.

Bugner

Personally, I think speed is relative. Terrain, body weight, fitness, bike, all affect speed, as long as you are feeling that you are putting effort in and progressing, i don't think it matters what your average speed is. I have just started doing doing Audax rides and 90% of people go faster than me, but I enjoy what I am doing and am getting fitter. Isn't that what cycling is about unless you are competing competitively??

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Bugner said:
Isn't that what cycling is about unless you are competing competitively??

It is possible to compete uncompetitively? ;)

gavintc

Guru
vernon said:
It is possible to compete uncompetitively? ;)

If you were to see me on my first 4th cat races - that was me. :laugh: I did not even manage 8 miles before competitive riding became uncompetitive.

dudi

With the lack of really hilly terrain round here, if I really go for it, I can get pretty close to 25 miles in an hour. but that's flat out... normally i get about 20 miles.
In more hilly terrain I usually go a bit easier, and get about 16-17 miles.

jimboalee

vernon said:
It is possible to compete uncompetitively? :biggrin:

I don't know.
Consider the members of a team who are not asked to win.

There are what are called "Domestiques". 'Servants' in French.
They are about half a Pro team.

There is the Team leader, the one who will win the race. There is the sprinter. There is the climber.
The Domestiques assist these three to do their job and win some money.

Sometimes Domestiques get to win the race or stage, but that is not their job, they just got lucky.

The 'competativeness' is within the Team environment. Not to win outright.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
dudi said:
With the lack of really hilly terrain round here, if I really go for it, I can get pretty close to 25 miles in an hour. but that's flat out... normally i get about 20 miles.
In more hilly terrain I usually go a bit easier, and get about 16-17 miles.

Yes but you are not normal dudi and your bike has an engine :biggrin: On the same terrain I normally average between 14/16 mph and if I push it the high teens.

tyred

Legendary Member
I can manage about 13-14 MPH average over ten miles on undulating terrain on a SS steel road bike. I am actually slower over the same loop on my slicked up MTB (with gears). This is something I find strange. I know the MTB's heavier but surely having a selection of gears should offset that?

Top Bottom