How far do you get on an hour long ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
If thats a starting point Lamb 14.7 IMHO is pretty darn good especially if its pretty hilly. I have a few loops I do on weekdays (in my lunch hour) a couple of hilly ones are around 13.5 miles and the flatter ones are around 18 or so miles, but I am a long way off super fit on the bike yet.

A couple of steep inclines make a massive difference, my 18 mile commute takes me 1 hour 15minutes in to work and around 48 - 55 minutes on way home.

OP
OP
Lambchop

Lambchop

Thats definately what I need - Encouragement! Cheers Wigsie, as you say its a starting point and I know people dont suddenly become 'super fit' overnight.. Its damn hard, I have to start thinking beyond just going out on my bike and beasting myself... everything from not drinking too much alcohol and perhaps forgetting about that blueberry muffin with a coffee mid morning!

jimboalee

If its just an hour, the sixteen miles of my commute is done in about an hour, give or take for the weather.

If its part of a BP 100km AUK ride, I only need to ride 7 miles each hour and I get the cloth patch.
If its in a BR 200km or 300km or 400km or 600km, I can cover 11 miles every hour and be within time.

More 'folklore'.

"The second hour of cycling is always the fastest."

Except if the first hour is with a blowing gale and the second is against it.
Or the first is downhill and the second back up again.

Generally, it takes an hour to warm up properly before you are ready to put the hammer down.

yello

jimboalee said:
Generally, it takes an hour to warm up properly

I could go for that as well! It doesn't seem like folklore to me though. More the bleedin' obvious!:laugh: I know the first 20 minutes, 1/2 hour for me are difficult. I can't get comfortable, knees creaky, eyes watering... I'd prefer to be just about anywhere else!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Lambchop said:
Thats definately what I need - Encouragement!

Looking at one of your other posts, the pending order and arrival of the Dolomiti is all the encouragment one would need!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Top Bottom