How far should you ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MonsterEnergy

i am 15 years of age. I do a few short cycle rides a week. Consists of about 6-9miles. I am wondering as i struggle quite a bit with riding up hills, and getting enough speed to ride to the top, and needing your help to help me solve this issue.
I also take a bottle of water, and i am wondering whether i need to take a little bar of some sort or something light to eat to help refuel as i get further on into the ride.
I am looking for anyone's suggestions.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why do you struggle? Do you have low enough gears, do you change down to the lowest gear?

alicat

Legendary Member
Try going up hills in a lower gear. It's always good to have a snack in your back pocket - a banana is ideal - however for the length of ride that you're doing at the mo the banana should be going back in the fruit bowl after its trip out.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Your challenge is not lack of energy, it is lack of fitness. The more you do it the better you’ll get at it. Use your gears effectively to use your energy and fitness efficiently; change to a lower gear (bigger rear cog) to keep your cadence (pedalling speed) up rather than trying to struggle with a low cadence. There is no shame in using all the gears you have available. My motto when climbing a tough hill is that so long as one pedal is turning over the other you will get there.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Your challenge is not lack of energy, it is lack of fitness. The more you do it the better you’ll get at it. Use your gears effectively to use your energy and fitness efficiently; change to a lower gear (bigger rear cog) to keep your cadence (pedalling speed) up rather than trying to struggle with a low cadence. There is no shame in using all the gears you have available. My motto when climbing a tough hill is that so long as one pedal is turning over the other you will get there.
Okay thanks...Yeah maybe...I have and am doing alot of fitness though. I am doing a fitness workout every day, and either walk/run/cycle every day. So if i just keep practising going up hills on my ride, i should become more confident, is that what you are saying?

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

If that picture is of your bike I'd raise the seat up a bit (well a lot actually)
erm no...i dont think i would do even 4miles on that thing....That's for dirt jumps
I have a actual MTB

CXRAndy

Guru
Are you based in the UK? At your age, I would just ride, join a local cycle club. Building up time on the bike. Are you small and lightweight or big and tall?

Big riders struggle more up hills.

winjim

Smash the cistern
The more regular you cycle the further you go.
I found it came all of a sudden. I had a little route that I used to ride, just maybe 6 or 8 miles but with a nasty Peak District hill. I had to stop halfway and have a rest and something to eat and drink before I turned round and went home and was totally knackered the next day. I kept at it and had an ambition to get as far as the reservoir on the other side of the valley, maybe ten miles away. Then one day I reached the reservoir and just kept going, and going, and going. Suddenly I had just leaped up to being able to ride 50, 60, 70 milers no problem.

So take some water and some energy food with you, stop and rest if you need to, but just keep doing it and doing it and doing it, and by the time this lockdown is over you'll be fit and ready for longer rides.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
erm no...i dont think i would do even 4miles on that thing....That's for dirt jumps
I have a actual MTB
Thank goodness, I converted my 'Jump' bike into something more rideable, it was fine 25yrs ago but old age convinced me to fit a custom made 600mm seat post, I use it as a 'Snow' bike nowadays.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Are you based in the UK? At your age, I would just ride, join a local cycle club. Building up time on the bike. Are you small and lightweight or big and tall?

Big riders struggle more up hills.
Yup! In scotland. I am small and lightweight

Top Bottom