How far should you ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i do 6hrs a day. I cycle after 3pm which is when i finish
I wish i could get my 13 year old too,its a major screaming event every time we make him do some, the way its going im telling the school he has to go back because no amount of badgering is going to work .

vickster

Legendary Member
My goal is 60 miles a week, 10 miles a day and one rest day. Is that a good idea?
Sounds good. But add a couple of days walking or jogging if possible, weight bearing exercise is also crucial for bone health (and don’t neglect calcium in diet and consider taking vitamin D :okay:)

Knightly85

No, but I have musculoskeletal issues and the rheumatologist said to take Vit D as almost everyone in the Uk is deficient. So I do
Ah okay, you give really good advice. Thank you.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not at all, but I have musculoskeletal issues and the rheumatologist said to take Vit D as almost everyone in the Uk is deficient. So I do
+1 to the vitamin d, especially if you dont get a lot of sunlight.Couple of years ago i kept getting bad stomach cramps and the trots as well as fatigue , turned out i was very vit D deficient and calcium too.

boydj

Legendary Member
Sounds good. But add a couple of days walking or jogging if possible, weight bearing exercise is also crucial for bone health (and don’t neglect calcium in diet and consider taking vitamin D :okay:)

Weight-bearing exercise is very necessary, especially for growing bones, so 2 or 3 days should have weight-bearing exercise of some sort - possibly as well as some cycling. For the days you cycle, you should vary what you do a bit as well.

Six days a week of steady 10-milers will make you good at steady 10-milers. Build up the length of one of your runs to help with endurance. Make another run shorter, but with 5 or 6 sprints of varying distance to improve your speed or find a steep hill that's not too long and do hill reps. Variety is the spice of life and will make your cycling more interesting. There are lots of training programs on the internet if you want something structured, but I find just playing by ear from one day to the next suits me fine.

rualexander

Legendary Member
As in vitamin D tablets?
Everyone should be getting as much vitamin D as they can at the moment (within recommended limits of course) either naturally through sun exposure or by supplementation.
Vitamin D is involved in the immune system, and there is good evidence that it helps reduce the severity of respiratory infections https://www.bmj.com/content/356/bmj.i6583
This is one theory that might explain the over representation of darker skinned people in the critically ill and dying patients of covid 19.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You can ride as long and far as you like...…..
Weather will be better next week so will be going out for 2-3 hour rides

I ride as often as I feel like it, for whatever time/distance I feel like. A lot depends on the weather as I am not a masochist, and try to avoid crappy rain and windy days. I pay close attention to the forecast and (almost) real-time weather radar to try and avoid getting caught out.
I frequently do two rides on non-work days; about two hours from early to mid-morning, then another hour after teatime before it gets dark. I find this the optimum for not encountering too many dog walkers and pedestrians off-tarmac, I ride during the cooler hours both morning and evening without the strongest sun and there tends to be less road traffic around too.

Top Bottom