How far should you ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

As far as government restrictions go if you parents feel that an hour is the maximum then they are only thinking of your safety so in the current times i would go with it rather than create tension within your family as i think in these times your parents have enough to worry about without extra stress.
With regards the hills then a mtb will be harder to ride but its good training for if and when you decide if you want to get more involved as you progress then look at a lighter bike , maybe if you offroading look a a CX /adventure style bike .
Finally what is your bike set up like ? many newer riders tend to have their saddle to low which can make riding harder work .
i will send a picture of it soon.
My saddle is just at the right height for me

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

As far as government restrictions go if you parents feel that an hour is the maximum then they are only thinking of your safety so in the current times i would go with it rather than create tension within your family as i think in these times your parents have enough to worry about without extra stress.
With regards the hills then a mtb will be harder to ride but its good training for if and when you decide if you want to get more involved as you progress then look at a lighter bike , maybe if you offroading look a a CX /adventure style bike .
Finally what is your bike set up like ? many newer riders tend to have their saddle to low which can make riding harder work .
Here is my bike set up

Attachments

• 20200429_104223_HDR.jpg
    20200429_104223_HDR.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

hard to say without you on it , i was just saying it is a common mistake in newer riders , basic method for saddle height = heel on pedal with leg straight to set height so when you pedal you have about the right height.
View attachment 518690
Okay...thanks...Yup i think thats about right on mine.
Im going out for a 6mi cycle again after sch. Hopefully if i keep doing this for about 3-4times a week plus a run on other days, i hopefully will become better and fitter

ChrisEyles

Guru
Nice bike!

As well as seat height (totally agree with @cyberknight here), you can look at your tyre pressures. I'm guessing at 15 years old you're probably quite light, so I'd go with something around 35psi if you're off-roading on bumpy trails or more like 50psi if you're going to be doing a road ride.

If you don't already have one, a track pump with a pressure gauge on it is one of the most useful bits of cycling kit to have. You can get a decent one for £15 - £20, much better than a hand pump and takes the guess work out of tyre pressure (the thumb squeeze method is pretty much hopeless!).

ChrisEyles

Guru
Oh, and if you climb out of the saddle at all, it might be worth upping the pre-load on your sus forks to reduce bob (or lock them out all together for road riding, if they have that capability)

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Nice bike!

As well as seat height (totally agree with @cyberknight here), you can look at your tyre pressures. I'm guessing at 15 years old you're probably quite light, so I'd go with something around 35psi if you're off-roading on bumpy trails or more like 50psi if you're going to be doing a road ride.

If you don't already have one, a track pump with a pressure gauge on it is one of the most useful bits of cycling kit to have. You can get a decent one for £15 - £20, much better than a hand pump and takes the guess work out of tyre pressure (the thumb squeeze method is pretty much hopeless!).
Hi thanks for help...Yup i only have a hand pump which i take around, which means i don't actually know what psi my tyres are

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Oh, and if you climb out of the saddle at all, it might be worth upping the pre-load on your sus forks to reduce bob (or lock them out all together for road riding, if they have that capability)
yep they do...i will try that and see if that helps

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hi thanks for help...Yup i only have a hand pump which i take around, which means i don't actually know what psi my tyres are
halfords do a track pump for £20 i know bigger shops do click and collect , you can get cheaper ones but given the lottery of stock and postal delivery times.

ChrisEyles

Guru
When I first got a track pump I realised I'd been riding my tyres at much lower pressures than I thought. It's a very useful thing to have, can't think of a better "upgrade" to a bike for £20 if you don't already have one.

Alternatively a cheaper option is to get a tyre pressure gauge, and to check what pressure you've got up to with your hand pump with it. But unless money is really really tight, I'd honestly go for the track pump.

Or to tide you over until you can get a track pump you could ride the bike to a garage that offers compressed air to pump up tyres, they are often either free or 50p for a one off use.

cyberknight

When I first got a track pump I realised I'd been riding my tyres at much lower pressures than I thought. It's a very useful thing to have, can't think of a better "upgrade" to a bike for £20 if you don't already have one.

Alternatively a cheaper option is to get a tyre pressure gauge, and to check what pressure you've got up to with your hand pump with it. But unless money is really really tight, I'd honestly go for the track pump.

Or to tide you over until you can get a track pump you could ride the bike to a garage that offers compressed air to pump up tyres, they are often either free or 50p for a one off use.
I thought garages were a bad idea for doing bike tyres ? something to do with the pressure of the forecourt pumps?,

figbat

Slippery scientist
I thought garages were a bad idea for doing bike tyres ? something to do with the pressure of the forecourt pumps?,
Forecourt pumps tend to shift high volume but not massive pressures - car tyres run in the 24-40 psi range which is well below typical road bikes. In fact I wonder if a garage pump would get anywhere near 80-100 psi? However for a large volume MTB tyre I'd think it should be OK. The pumps are notoriously inaccurate, although I don't know the truth of that.

The other risk though is riding a bicycle in an environment full of other vehicles, some of which may be reversing or manoeuvring to get to a parking space or specific pump etc. Plus the slippery surface from diesel spills and water dispensers.

On balance I think a pump with a gauge is a better option and should serve well for years. I picked my track pump up at Wilko for £10 and although it's a bit flimsy, it is still going fine for my road and MTB tyres.

OP
OP
MonsterEnergy

MonsterEnergy

Forecourt pumps tend to shift high volume but not massive pressures - car tyres run in the 24-40 psi range which is well below typical road bikes. In fact I wonder if a garage pump would get anywhere near 80-100 psi? However for a large volume MTB tyre I'd think it should be OK. The pumps are notoriously inaccurate, although I don't know the truth of that.

The other risk though is riding a bicycle in an environment full of other vehicles, some of which may be reversing or manoeuvring to get to a parking space or specific pump etc. Plus the slippery surface from diesel spills and water dispensers.

On balance I think a pump with a gauge is a better option and should serve well for years. I picked my track pump up at Wilko for £10 and although it's a bit flimsy, it is still going fine for my road and MTB tyres.
when i went to get new inner tubes and slime in my tyres, halfords pumped up my tyres quite hard, and they have never gone down.

cyberknight

when i went to get new inner tubes and slime in my tyres, halfords pumped up my tyres quite hard, and they have never gone down.
you think they havent but in reality tyres do drop in pressure a little bit over time, leave a bike for a few months and te tyre is liable to be a half flat .I know road bikes have higher pressures but on mine i lose mebbere 10 psi over a week .

Jaykun85

I recently got back into cycling and am finding my hills not so good any more.
Just try to keep moving in the lowest gear you have if needed. If you keep doing it you will notice yourself getting better.
Ill have to admit on a few hills where I live I have stopped half way just to have a little rest.

Top Bottom