How Far ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
When I was out yesterday I was daydreaming (as you do) and started to think how long it had been since I had a visit from the 'P' fairy. moments later, yes, you've guessed it, back tyre punctured. No problem though, I replaced the tube only to get another flat within half a mile. I tried putting on a patch but for some reason I could not get it to stick properly and had a 9 mile walk home. As it happened I quite enjoyed the walk but I started to wonder how far other people have walked their bikes. I suppose I could have sent for a taxi but the thought never entered my mind.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe a mile? I’ve taken trains home occasionally. Last time I had a mechanical (well a bit of coat hanger or similar in the road tangled itself up in my rear wheel and destroyed the chain and mech), i locked my bike up and got two buses home (was about a mile and half away but it was peeing with rain). Collected in the car a little later

I now have ETA rescue so shouldn’t need to walk again (not needed it as yet)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Never had to walk because of a puncture, but I had to walk about 3 miles after hitting a pothole hard and turning my front wheel inside out. It was hard going as the front wheel wouldn't go round (obvs). I was lucky to be relatively near a railway station. Actually, that's not true, if I was lucky it wouldn't have happened at all.

I remember it very distinctly as it was the last weekend before lockdown.

presta

Guru
I've walked about a mile to my destination with punctures because it was more convenient than repairing. Two occasions were on narrow country lanes with nowhere to get off the road and in the rain, and another was with a badly damaged tyre. Another occasion I wheeled the back of the bike 0.8m home with a pretzeled front wheel held in the air. It was heavier when I got home than it had been when I set off.

When I broke a crank I left the bike in the lost property shed at the local nick and got a lift, then went back for it later. When a saddle rail broke I managed to hold the broken end in the seat clamp by sliding the saddle 6-7mm further forward, then carried on riding. (I actually rode it like that for a month or two whilst I was looking for another saddle.)

Alex321

Veteran
About 5 miles after the chain broke, in the dark, the day after it had previously broken and been put back together (obviously not very well!).

Seat clamp broke at Hyde Park and walked the bike about 4 miles to a bike shop. Pleaded with Tube staff to no avail.

Probably a rare bloke with spare seat clamp on my rides thereafter.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Strangely enough I often find myself wondering "if I punctured here, would I fix it, or walk home?" To be honest anything over a mile and I'd fix it.
Mind you I have been known, when out with pals far fitter and faster than me, to wish for a puncture, so I could have a break! :eek:
Even more perversely, I once got very cold on a ride and got the shivers etc and even after an hour long stop in a cafe, I went out half hoping that someone had nicked my bike! :eek::eek::eek:

13 rider

Guru
11 miles when my freehub went while on holiday in Cornwall and where we were staying no mobile reception . Did roll down the many hills so probably walked 5 miles

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've never had a bike breaking to the point of unrideable. But I HAVE had the engine give up, i.e. me having the dreaded "bonk". I limped on for a few miles before realising I was going to have a real problem with a few hills between me and home, about 8 miles away. I chained the bike to a lamp post and took the bus home. Went back later in the car to collect the bike. It was a small rural town so I felt confident enough about leaving the bike. No way I would have done that in any city.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Seat clamp bolt broke 3 miles into a 13 mile late night commute. Near train station but past last train. Didn’t walk, but 10 miles of stood up cycling. Quads were burning when I got home.

Mike_P

Guru
Around 3 1/2 miles when my chain split and discovered no quick links in the saddle bag:sad: Around a third of the way a passing cyclist offered me his quick links but I declined on the basis he had a lot further to go. Was during mega lockdown so the the quick hour ride outside of work time took somewhat longer.

Top Bottom