How fast am I ... hypothetically

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ride

Ride

Would it not be better to keep the heavy bike for commuting and by a road bike for training/racing.

Yes, this is precisely what I am planning to do. I'll continue to commute on my existing bike and use the road bike for long weekend rides and races.

OP
OP
Ride

Ride

You won't be allowed to race on the road with disc brakes...the rules will probably change in the future but that is the case just now.

Just had a peek at the rules here [ http://www.bermudabicycle.org/BBA Road Race Rules.pdf ] (Section 3) and it does not appear that disc brake road bikes are prohibited from participating in races. Good news for me as I really want a hydraulic disc brake road bike with electronic shifting. :tongue:

OP
OP
Ride

Ride

[QUOTE 1942371, member: 76"]I wouldn't bother with racing, because you will be unaccountably beaten by 4 fat looking blokes on old steel frame bikes with gear ratios that look highly improbable. They will take you apart in a series of sprints that seem random and pointless, and serve no other purpose than taking you apart in an absolutely humiliating fashion.

Probably your best bet in amateur racing is buy a decent bike and some epo, theres generally no drug testing in amateur sport:whistle:[/quote]

It appears you've had a bad experience. :B)

Gary E

Veteran
[QUOTE 1942371, member: 76"]I wouldn't bother with racing, because you will be unaccountably beaten by 4 fat looking blokes on old steel frame bikes with gear ratios that look highly improbable. They will take you apart in a series of sprints that seem random and pointless, and serve no other purpose than taking you apart in an absolutely humiliating fashion.

Probably your best bet in amateur racing is buy a decent bike and some epo, theres generally no drug testing in amateur sport:whistle:[/quote]
It appears you've had a bad experience. :B)

Either that or he's a fat looking bloke with a steel bike and improbable gears :laugh:

OP
OP
Ride

Ride

In all seriousness, the only way you will find out is if you buy a road bike and give it a go.

The problem is that everyone here has paid a boat load for their bikes and I don't know anyone in the race circuit as yet. Well, I have a co-worker and she is big into it but I seriously doubt she'd let me ride her bike to find out. She is also about 2 or 4 inches taller than me so we'd had to do a fit or something.

I don't know if the LBS will let me at test ride a $5000+ road bike either. I guess I could ask to test a cheaper one. I think the cheapest they have would still be about $1500+, though.

I think my best bet will be to do as potsy suggested and strip the panniers off the bike (not going to bother with the fenders, rack, and other bits), see how heavy the bike is then, and then take it for a spin.

Ride

According to this online calculator link, and if the only thing that changes is bike weight and narrower tyres then you would achieve an amazing +1 kph with a newer bike.

I'd say buy some protein powder and work on your leg strength and power before buying the new bike.

oldroadman

Veteran
First, commuting at a steady speed trains your body to do just that, you need, for racing, speed work with maximal efforts to train your body to accept the efforts. Second,one way to check would be to get on a test rig (Wattbike, for instance) and see what your output is, then you will see potential or not. Third, disc brakes on the road are (thank goodness) contrary to UCI regulations, and Bermuda is a UCI affiliated federation, so no disc brakes! Four, ignore the incredibly crass comment made about doping and no testing in amateur sport - first there is no such thing as amateur, just categories/classes, and ANYONE who races signs to allow testing. A recent case reported in Bermuda shows this. Five, why spend a fortune when, if you show potential, an aluminium frame job will suit as a starter, with the bonue that when the inevitable happens, it's likely you won't write off a frame (which is very likely with carbon, and they don't repair well, if at all). And finally, go on some rides with a local club before plunging into competition, understand peloton protocol, how to ride fast and safe in a group, because you'll be a very unpopular person if you are all over the place in a race.
Best of luck!

OP
OP
Ride

Ride

First, commuting at a steady speed trains your body to ... the place in a race.
Best of luck!

Many thanks for your advice.

Ride

OP
OP
Ride

Ride

Streuth, if someone can work this out mathematically and give you an answer, I'll go back to using clips and straps. :laugh:

According to this online calculator link, and if the only thing that changes is bike weight and narrower tyres then you would achieve an amazing +1 kph with a newer bike.

I'd say buy some protein powder and work on your leg strength and power before buying the new bike.

So raindog, I suppose you'll be providing some recent video of you racing using clips and straps. Remember, your word is your bond. :thumbsup:

Ride

Top Bottom