How fast can you do 10 miles?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My average time for my 10 mile commute is 45 minutes; I'm sure it would be lower if the route wasn't so flat. I'm not sure of my best time; it's round about the 41 minute mark.

400bhp

Guru
This specifically for commuting?

Awaits @Hacienda71 :whistle:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Average time about 40 minutes (commute). Fastest I've ever done it is about 30 minutes.

Fastest 10 miles: 23:47 on a TT bike a couple of years ago.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
With traffic, but with the Garmin autostopping at lights, it's about 35 minutes to do 10.5 miles. Add on about 5-10 minutes of stops, so 40-45 minutes door to door.

donnydave

Über Member
Absolute best ever with mega wind assist was just over 30mins for 10 miles (12.5 mile total commute), normally its about 37 or 38 mins. Apart from the very start of my journey in town, my route only has 1 set of traffic lights so it hardly varies unless its really windy. Bike is a road-biased hybrid (flat bars), 25mm tyres, panniers etc.

snorri

Legendary Member
Not very fast on the commute, there's too many numpties out there :ohmy:

Very wise HLaB.. .......snorri nods head sagely.

Steve Saunders

Commute 20.7 miles ... and PB for that is 21.7mph, on a standard road bike. Best PB over 10 miles out in the country is about 26 minutes, again on a normal road bike and on a loop circuit so no wind assistance. Have averaged 21mph up to around 40 miles before, but that doesn't happen very often as it needs to be a fairly still day or a day with those mythical winds that always seem to be a tailwind rather than a headwind.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'll tell you when I do my first 10 mile TT later this year.

I've been known to average 20-21mph on my own 24 mile 'fast' loop, so I'd be hoping to get under the 30 minute mark. Throw any significant climbs in and I'm much slower, due to being what Sgt Hartman would call a disgusting fatbody.

MikeW-71

Veteran
I don't know yet. On my usual routes it's 40-45mins but I'm not trying to go flat out then and there are hills involved.

dhd.evans

Veteran
1) Between 38-40mins most days on my commute (bear in mind this 10.6-10.8miles!)

2) 33 minutes with a bastard of a tailwind up my ass.

3) These days it's a B'Twin Triban 3a, but i set that PB on a Dawes Discovery X02 heavy hybrid.

Top Bottom