How fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Since I got my Garmin in Oct - 49.0mph last Friday going down Blaze Hill (or the St).

50 will be on the clock soon enough.

asterix

Comrade Member
Been over 50 mph a few times but have scrapped the cycle computer now.

Anyone wants to do over 50mph the west side of Holme Moss was easiest for me. A little bumpy and you'd be very wise to check for potholes these days.

On the TdF they often resurface descents with rough roads special like. Can you imagine that in the UK!

on the road

Über Member
I've done 48 mph, I could have gone faster, but I bottled out. At those speeds even the slightest bend in a road feels like a hairpin bend :eek:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
<BR><BR><BR>Left at top of Brickworks, down and round the sharp right hander - nuts I tell ye <BR><BR>60mph my top in North Wales. 55 can be done on Woodhead - 50 easily on Chunal <BR><BR>Every training ride I hit 40-42mph down Otterspool near Marple - it's only 8 % but you can let fly once past the 'side roads' - only issue is the speed limit - it's 40 so you get held up by cars. Only half a mile long.

Just after the tight corner take a bit of speed around the corner then nice and smooth new tarmac at the Disley shortcut turn off so you can nail it down over the bridge. :thumbsup:

Since I got my Garmin in Oct - 49.0mph last Friday going down Blaze Hill (or the St).

50 will be on the clock soon enough.

I bottle Blaze Hill in terms of speed on the descent as I get paranoid I won't stop at the bottom. The Street on the other hand :tongue:

OP
OP
GeoffCapes

GeoffCapes

39.9 mph downhill for some reason I can't get over 40mph.

Then again I live in South East Essex so not many long descents to work up to real speeds and all the hills I find always seem to go up rather than down anyway !

EDIT: Spelling South should in fact read Sarf

Update. did 45.3 mph tonight! :biggrin:

I'm in Wickford. Castledon Road has a nice straight hill. That's where I've hit my top speeds so far!

There's a nice long one between Stock and Billericay :thumbsup:

classic33

Leg End Member
I've been flashed by a speed camera..Love to see their faces when checking the 'film' Hmmm where do we send this ticket to?

Did the same on Brox in a 50 limit, junction 24 M62 down to Elland. Not a single vehicle passed me going down, can't work out why.

adds21

Rider of bikes
My Garmin was playing up a little this morning:

mph.jpg

I don't remember doing 6,990.3 mph this morning, especially as I was on the MTB.

huttster

Managed 46mph this morning on commute to work down Essex Way,trying to hit 50 but cannot get past 46,i am wearing a rucksack at the time,would this slow me down or would the extra weight speed me up?

Glover Fan

Doubt it's the weight that will be stopping you going faster, more that a rucksack isn't renowned for it's aerodrynamic properties. :smile:

My fastest was 43.3mph descending the cotswolds into Dursley, nearly lost it as well when I tapped the rear brake on a corner.

JBP

32 on the hill down past Woodingdean, best bit was there's a speed camera at the bottom and I peaked just as I was going through it, not fast enough to get a flash though.

Nebulous

Guru
I'm pretty new to a roadbike and only got a computer a few weeks ago but have always found speed very attractive. I broke 45 miles an hour last Sunday. I had to stop at that, as there was a sharp left-handed and I slowed down to about 21 for it. I cranked to about 35 (compact chainset) then just tucked down and let the bike and gravity do the rest.

Top Bottom