How fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hit 46.9mph on "Burley Hill" in Rutland, not a big hill but long and windy. Hoping to break 50mph in coming week or so

68.72kph on a flat going to work trying to break my record, 6 minutes to travel 2.5 miles from getting the bike out the garage to sitting down at my desk, beat the quickest time by car by 10 minutes.

515mm

68.72kph on a flat going to work trying to break my record, 6 minutes to travel 2.5 miles from getting the bike out the garage to sitting down at my desk, beat the quickest time by car by 10 minutes.

43mph on a flat road?

I think we should be Time Trialling for our local club. You, my friend, are officially quick.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Some amazing speeds posted here. My fastest is 42mph though I usually peak in high 30s.

For 40+mph one needs long, wide, smooth, straightish roads, with no parked cars, no traffic lights, junctions or side roads.

Very rarely gets all of these factors occurring at the same time.

Since I got a front tyre blowout a couple of weeks ago, I've become an even more cautious descender.

GrasB

Veteran
Max speed... pah..
commute pm.png
:tongue:
Forgot to turn the cranks on so no power or cadence :cry:

cloggsy

Boardmanist
This was my ride today:

Ride Time: 44:40
Stopped Time: 0:00
Distance: 12.89 miles
Average: 17.32 miles/h
Fastest Speed: 23.80 miles/h
Ahead of Median Ride: 0:41
Ascent: 158 feet
Calories: 892

Mile 01 - Average 16.68 miles/h
Mile 02 - Average 19.27 miles/h
Mile 03 - Average 15.20 miles/h
Mile 04 - Average 19.26 miles/h
Mile 05 - Average 16.43 miles/h
Mile 06 - Average 16.13 miles/h
Mile 07 - Average 16.33 miles/h
Mile 08 - Average 15.65 miles/h
Mile 09 - Average 20.36 miles/h
Mile 10 - Average 16.14 miles/h
Mile 11 - Average 18.58 miles/h
Mile 12 - Average 19.72 miles/h

gordyfinbar

Über Member
i must be a bit lame because my top speed is only 38.4 down off the Cotswolds into Cheltenham . i was still doing 35 when i hit the 30mph speed limit. I seem to run out of bottle at about 35 and start squeezing the brakes :ohmy:

eddie coffin

You and me both. Not happy above 35mph. Maybe I should wear a helmet?
i must be a bit lame because my top speed is only 38.4 down off the Cotswolds into Cheltenham . i was still doing 35 when i hit the 30mph speed limit. I seem to run out of bottle at about 35 and start squeezing the brakes :ohmy:

ebournecyclist

46.8mph descending Beachy Head towards Birling Gap (for those that know the area). Decent stretch, bit twisty to start with, but its when the gradient starts to level out a little (but still quite nicely downhill) and the road straightens that you can really put the power down. Had a slight tailwind which helped, not sure I would want much quicker without a spare pair of bibs in my jersey pocket. Every tiny ding in the road was a potentially brown-shorts inducing moment. :tongue:

Klaus

46.8mph descending Beachy Head towards Birling Gap (for those that know the area). Decent stretch, bit twisty to start with, but its when the gradient starts to level out a little (but still quite nicely downhill) and the road straightens that you can really put the power down. Had a slight tailwind which helped, not sure I would want much quicker without a spare pair of bibs in my jersey pocket. Every tiny ding in the road was a potentially brown-shorts inducing moment. :tongue:

Since a couple of minor "offs" downhill I lost my bottle (not afraid to admit it) - I have even stopped and walked down some scary steep downhills .... When I was a boy (many moons ago) I used to go down a very long hill road at approx 60 km/h (about 37 mph) which ended with a stretch of cobble stone. Never crashed, but these days gone soft.

lulubel

Über Member
The fastest I have recorded is 35.8mph downhill earlier this month, but I know I did over 40mph a few years ago down a particularly steep hill in Cornwall. It wasn't a very long hill, though, or I'm sure I would have ended up going faster!

asterix

Comrade Member
My boyfriend claims 100km/h = 60 mph down some road in Austria... he was a teenager at the time... I don't know what my max is.

Did 51mph down Holme Moss and someone whizzed past me at one point. They must have been getting close to 60 and that's not a simple descent having bends and undulations.

During the 5 Dales I was descending quite fast and was overtaken by 2 riders. However, there was a group of riders standing round the bottom of the descent and heard later someone had come off. It was a narrow road and I was taking it steady, not wanting to get too fast to be able to stop should I spot an upcoming car. I've no idea what the faster riders plan B would have been in that event.

JustT

Regular
Most Ive ever actually noticed ive been doing is 42 mph comming down off Crag vale, trying to keep up with the lads so they didnt loose me haha Scared the pants off me as soon as I noticed it and slowed down.

Normaly I get a bit twitchy if I go over 38....just a matter of building confidence I guess. And I suck in the rain and really bad wind. But I get better speeds when I am in a group, the confidence thing again, and as I said not wanting to get left behind :sad:

Top Bottom