How fit do you need to be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

johnny Yuh know whats happened here dont ya - youve broke your duck - so to speak !

Theirs not a cyclist on this planet who has to ride to ride at a certain standard...

As much as I can be pretty fit indeed! I still need to be fit for it/the rides etc.....and so now you know that rides on your own in the week can help...to attain this - you wont get it suddenly but over time.

A Sunday out can REALLY sap you massively!

Take me for example - 2006: didnt do much - nearly gave it up actually, last year 2007, was just one long effort...this year i'm coming good BUT very slowly...these things take time...dont look at great fitness now, look for next year and enjoy THIS year!

Generally, you've got to do one big ride then little smaller rides in the week!

dodgy

This is why I ride with mates instead of a club. Even the friendliest of clubs will have no compunction with leaving you behind, but to be fair, the rules are usually well known before hand.

Dave.

RedBike

I hope I wasn't far off the pace but it did come as a bit of shock. The pace did slow for the hills, just not enought for me!

Keep at it and you will soon be able to keep up. If they thought you were miles off the pace they would of told you; (or just left you behind!)

monnet

Guru
Keep at it. It'll come good. I've recently got involved in a club for the first time. Previously I either couldn't be sure I'd be in a place long enough to justify it or I was afraid I wouldn't be good enough. I've ridden on my own for years and really pushed myself on occasions. Basically (and I'm not showing off) I went out with the club and it was no problem, but I really enjoyed going out and riding with new people and knowing that there was plenty of encouragement there if I needed it. I wish I'd done itmuch sooner. So don't worry, if it's anything like the guys I've been out with they'll have patience and you'll be doing double turns at the front of the chaingang before you know it - or maybe not!

shooter560

Johnny, firstly congrats for sticking with them for as long as possible ;)

Fitness will come, trust me. about 10 weeks ago I used to go out on the club Sunday rides 50 odd miles with a tea stop, by the time we were close to the stop I was dropping off the back, especially if there were bumpy bits, average speed was around 15mph. Now I ride on the back of the fast group, doing my share where possible and averaging about 20mph. When I ride with the slow group (when I need to just have a light ride) I spend almost all the time on the front.

So ride fitness, strength, recovery and stamina will come, just take your time, ride as much as you want BUT factor in recovery days.

For example I never ride on a Monday, Tuesday is an easy ride, Weds hard, Thursday club ride, Friday easy, Sat easy or very hard club, Sunday hard unless I did the hard ride on Sat and then easy out hard back.

Top Bottom