How fit do you need to be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnny

So, I finally plucked up the courage and went on the club ride on Sunday. I lasted 2 hours before having to concede defeat as I found myself desperately trying to play catch up. The folks at the club were friendly and encouraging and I am definitely planning to try and make it again next week.

However, I was completely shattered all sunday afternoon, slept for a an hour or so after eating and then was good for nothing for the rest of the day. Obviously this hasn't gone down well at home.

Is this a normal experience of club rides, most of my cycling has been on my own or do I need to get stronger before giving it a go again?

Johnny, just a question, if they were friendly and encouraging then why did they leave you floundering at the back?

OP
OP
J

johnny

I wasn't left floundering. I just reached a point where I found keeping up harder and harder as I got more tired. It was my decision to stop, they were encouraging me to keep going. I was given lots of advice about how to ride in the group and deal with the hills better and whos wheel I was best to sit on etc. But at the end of the day I was simply exhausted.

walker

Keep at it Johnny and you will be fine.
Everyone is the same after their first group ride, after a while you will the same as the rest of us and get dragged to the shops with the wife before you've had a chance to take your sweaty socks off, and you won't even bat an eyelid.

Go out again, do 2hrs 15 next time, then build it up till the food stop, after that its all head home anyway

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
that was my experience, the first couple of times, although i was usually back at home before the effects you described set in.

i've had it on a more recent one, but when i've been riding with the fast group, taking turns on the front. i should know better…

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
The group i went out with slowed down for me, to see how fit i was for the first time. I was told where to sit and to relax. It came to the hills and i ended up going off from them. Only been dropped a few times, i find sitting right onto someone's wheel really helps, tucking right down so your out of the wind. The front is a good place to be aswell. As i have been told, you are then in charge of the speed, so you can push it as hard as you like, but also relax and drop the speed off more.
Keep at it, relax and position yourself so its easier for you, right on someone wheel that you know doesnt move around unexpectedly. Soon your fitness will pick up quick. I also find having a big plate of pasta and not going out the day before gives me huge amounts of energy for it.
Yesterday i felt bad aswell. But that was from the sprinting up a decent hill and being in a chain-gang trying to keep my gear going and doing the high speed. I came home and had a nice lie on the floor:thumbsup: ;)

OP
OP
J

johnny

Hilly, if you aren't going up one you are going down it. We did 50kms in two hours. The bit that killed me was the going up the hills, the pace just didn't slacken.

johnny said:
Hilly, if you aren't going up one you are going down it. We did 50kms in two hours. The bit that killed me was the going up the hills, the pace just didn't slacken.

The pace itself wasn't that hot - 15 mph approx, but hills can make a big difference. I'd be surprised if they were maintaining pace up big hills, but good cyclists can climb well on lumpy terrain by going down a hill as fast as possible and using the speed (often well over 30 mph) with some well judged welly and gear changing to get up the other side quickly. Get it wrong and start to slog and you slow down dramatically. It's technique and timing and something that comes with practice.

Realistically, if you were with them for 2 hours, you weren't far off the pace and the rest will come.

OP
OP
J

johnny

I hope I wasn't far off the pace but it did come as a bit of shock. The pace did slow for the hills, just not enought for me!

Top Bottom