How fit for a 125mile ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
AS others have said you are probably fit enough , make sure you keep your energy and fluids topped up, my biggest mistake is not drinking enough and going to hard but i still managed my 1st 100 miler this year .

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
I've now done around 70 on my road bike. Doing lots of shorter hillier rides whenever I can.

My plan is to head out next Wed as a trial and just do what I can. If I feel comfortable enough doing around 90 then I'll go for the 125 on the day. But if not I think I will drop down and do the 100 route.

Alan O

Über Member
I've now done around 70 on my road bike. Doing lots of shorter hillier rides whenever I can.

My plan is to head out next Wed as a trial and just do what I can. If I feel comfortable enough doing around 90 then I'll go for the 125 on the day. But if not I think I will drop down and do the 100 route.
Meh, you'll do the 125 no problem :okay:

Also remember that you'll get an extra psychological boost from an organized ride.

si_c

Guru
I do hope so, thanks!
Think you'll be fine. I did a 125 a month or so ago despite not having been out for more than a 40 since last year.

If you've got a good base already and you've done rides like this before (I recall you saying earlier you had) the if you pace yourself on the day you should be ok.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Think you'll be fine. I did a 125 a month or so ago despite not having been out for more than a 40 since last year.

If you've got a good base already and you've done rides like this before (I recall you saying earlier you had) the if you pace yourself on the day you should be ok.

Thank-you, that's good to hear! Yes I've done a few 100 milers and 80+ off road. Getting a bit excited about it now

adamangler

Veteran
Long flat rides can be boring, but long hilly rides cant be, at least thats what ive found, much rather get the miles in over lots of hills, hurts a lot more but much more satisfying and you get the pain of going up to stave off boredom then the free wheeling down as your reward as well. Flat rides longer than about 3 hours are just boring as hell solo.

Milzy

Guru
Just done a 106 in high winds 16 mph average off the back of one 30 mile ride 3 days before. Just drink and eat all the time.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi Sarahale.
From what you've already been doing I'm sure you will manage just fine. I did a 70 across Wales on Monday and the same again on Wednesday and my fitness level is nowhere near yours.
My attitude was ,if I didn't complete it ,I've had fun trying it and there's always next time. Just pace yourself , drink and eat plenty and make sure your bikes comfortable. After 70 miles I could really feel the seat on mine :-(.
All the very best and good luck.
Johnny

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thanks again for all the replies. My long ride I had planned for tomorrow is now postponed until Thurs due to the huge amounts of rain we've had and are expected to have over night. Luckily my boss was kind enough to let me switch my day off at work :biggrin:

Sod that. Two blokes on a bike and it's a race........ ;)

Just kidding. This is useful advice (which I've never found it possible to follow).

2 blokes on a bike:ohmy::excl:

00406b2dcb4de03fdc884aa7aeec1635--little-britain-ladies-bikes.jpg

Top Bottom