How fit for a 125mile ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
Struggling to find the time to fit in the long rides which I should be doing by now.

I'm doing 150 miles a week on a mountain bike with semi slicks mix of on or off road.

And I go to the gym for about 3 hours a week, mix of cardio and swimming.

The actual ride is on road, on a road bike and 5 weeks away still but I'm on holiday with no riding next week.

Will a couple of decent length rides in the weeks I'm back get me through it or should I be thinking about going for the shorter route?

Any advice much appreciated.

Tin Pot

Guru
How far have you ridden on road on a road bike before and how long did it take?

How much discomfort did you feel?

What's the elevation gain over these 125miles?

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Last year 100 miles in 6 hours, 126 in 8 and fine after but I was fitter then.

7801 but I don't quite now how it works, I'm assuming it's alot.

@sarahale - there is a general wisdom that if a cyclist can manage a weekly mileage total that is equivalent to the one long distance ride planned then there should be no problem. You have said that you are currently doing 150 miles per week so that should give you confidence that you will manage the 125 miles ok.

The only proviso I would make is that if the 125 mile ride is very hilly (and your normal weekly miles are not) or a pace notably faster than your normal pace is expected then it may prove more difficult. In any event, just make sure you hydrate and eat effectively as well as carbo loading prior to the ride. a breakfast of porridge and fruit always works well for me.

Good luck.

Alan O

Über Member
Struggling to find the time to fit in the long rides which I should be doing by now.

I'm doing 150 miles a week on a mountain bike with semi slicks mix of on or off road.

The actual ride is on road, on a road bike and 5 weeks away still but I'm on holiday with no riding next week.

Will a couple of decent length rides in the weeks I'm back get me through it or should I be thinking about going for the shorter route?

Given what you're doing, I think you'll manage it.

I'd say the key is to go at a slower pace than your regular shorter rides, sticking to what your legs are capable of for an all-day aerobic session, and be sure not to push it too hard in the early stages.

I'm doing something similar soon - a 100-mile - and my key focus on the day will be to keep my calorie and fluid intake up to match my output, and keep my gearing down to spinning levels and not strain my muscles (especially in the first few hours when it's tempting to push it).

It's all about pacing.

Alan

(Oh yes, and carry sausage butties in addition to all the high-cal sugary stuff :okay:)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Simple requirements: fitness, mental and physical stamina, comfort, and the ability to pace yourself.
You've done the distance before, so, although you may be slower, you have the advantage of knowing the ropes.

Vegan1

Just go out and do it, if you fail it's not the end of world and you can always try again.

Other advice would be pace yourself, if you think about quitting have 10 minutes of the bike having a quick rest and something to eat and drink - it's amazing what this can do. Enjoy yourself, don't think of the ride as a 125 mile slog, break the ride down into chunks.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

You are riding way more than me and I managed a hilly 100 mile ride last weekend and will be doing a flattish 129 mile ride on Saturday so you should be fine if you pace yourself sensibly and eat and drink enough.

Do what you can in the coming weeks and rest for a few days before the big ride to let your legs recover.

Enjoy the ride!

Tin Pot

Guru
Last year 100 miles in 6 hours, 126 in 8 and fine after but I was fitter then.

7801 but I don't quite now how it works, I'm assuming it's alot.

Sounds like you have plenty of previous to complete the ride then.

I would:

1. Check you know how you want to pace the ride so the hills don't wipe you out

2. Be sure you're using the road bike to be used on the ride

3. Fit in a few 3-4hr long, continuous, hilly rides to shake out any issues

4. Relax and enjoy come the day :smile:

MikeG

Guru
All my longer rides I have found to be more a test of comfort than of stamina. Can you cope with sitting in the same position for 7 or 8 hours? How's your bum? What about your back and neck, shoulders, wrists and so on? In view of this I'd get off your mountain bike immediately and get some serious hours on a road bike before the event. I have no doubt your legs will manage to turn the pedals often enough to do the mileage, but I hope your comfort levels allow you to find out for yourself.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
If you have done the miles before then its no problem as you know what it takes . Ive not done a long ride for months but have no issue with going on a 100 plus .

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would think that the only problem would be comfort on the road bike, if you are not used to the position then you may find it uncomfortable over such a long time. Worse case, pain killers and plenty of stops to stretch and move.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Thanks everyone, I just really started doubting myself today but I feel a little better now reading your advice and similar distances ridden on less miles.

I was far fitter this time last year. I think I was doing around 250 miles a week, just lost motivation over the winter and it has taken me longer than planned to get back into it.

I've also lost a bit of confidence on the roads round here hence why I have been doing alot of off road stuff.

Anyway once I'm back from holiday I'll get out on the road bike for a few longer rides and I'll try to not worry so much!!

Top Bottom