How has your 2020 cycling year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
My verdict on 2020's cycling is 'could have been a lot worse'.
My mileage at 7100 has been the lowest for several years and is 25% down on last year, but I still got out and rode throughout the year, and kept up the imperial century a month challenge on this site.
My lower mileage had two reasons. One was starting work again after a few years of happy semi-retirement - I lost much midweek riding and didn't even get any commutes as I'm working from home. The bigger reason though was Covid-19, which put an end to regular club and other group rides, and despite a determined start I just haven't been motivated enough to go out as often or as far on my own. The closure of youth hostels and limits on overnight stays also meant I missed the short micro-tours I like to do, although I did ride to Lands End in September, wild camping for four nights on the way down.
I can't see 2021 being much better - even if vaccination works wonders we still have some rocky times to come, so roll on 2022.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Mileage likely to be somewhere south of 2k miles for the year,
Now declaring my mileage for 2020 and it's not as bad as I feared. 2268 miles, which is actually 309 MORE than 2019 (but 1646 DOWN on 2018). Hoping the upward trend can continue in 2021.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hit my target so 8013 miles with 355,680 feet of elevation, i knocked it right off in Nov/Dec as i found myself going out for the sake of it and not because I wanted too.

Happy new year all and here's to a better 2021 :bicycle:🥳
Well, it's got to be, right?

As for me, a mere 3,000, down from 4ish last year, and failed to get the ninth imperial century challenge done and dusted at the final hurdle. One way or another, the cycling mojo took a bit of a kicking. But it shall return…

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
The ebike motor conversion of the hybrid failed in January so the roadbike stood in the short commutes, made slightly longer to avoid a steep hill, only in early February to hit the tarmac due to ice, and subsequently suffer a broken rear derailleur hanger and damaged rear mech. Meanwhile attempts to repair ebike motor failed so a new “Dutch Roadster” ebike arrived in early March with over £600 discount, the hybrid was reverted to pedal power, and the road bike eventually repaired.

Total 3167.9 miles (5098.2 km) of which 846.65 miles at times had motor assist; 133,414 ft definitely climbed plus a further 8,029 ft largely assisted

Worst month – February 9.37 miles

Best month - May 497.11 miles, which was also the month (Feb aside) with the lowest ebike mileage (8.42 miles).

Perce

Regular
Bought my bike December 2019 after a break of 40 years so 2020 was a good year cycling for me . I knew I would enjoy it, just didn't realise how much. 2800 miles for the year, think longest ride was 44 miles, perhaps not far by the standards of other riders but I'm not bothered. Lockdown was good in some ways, quieter traffic helped improve confidence on the roads. I was really looking forward to cafe stops on the bike, not had much opportunity to do that up to now for obvious reasons so just ride somewhere, turn round and go back home again. Oh well. I like the sense of achievement when reaching a destination - for some reason though, more often than not I end up in Tewkesbury, don't know why, think it must be something to do with the wind direction.
Happy new year everyone

robjh

Legendary Member
I've managed to get a map of all my longer rides in 2020

Top Bottom