How has your 2020 cycling year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think we have all taken a hit on our cycling this year do to the Pandemic.

For the first time in 12 years I didn't manage to turn over 10,000 annual cycling miles.
Mainly due to the first lockdown where for 3 months I only commuted into the office once a week to check the fire alarm.

Audax rides also suffered. I didn't do any this year.
Our annual weekly tour in France or Spain didn't go ahead.
Our annual one day Doncaster to London ride didn't go ahead.
I also didn't do any FNRttC's this year.

However I did manage to complete the Cycle Chat Imperial Century a month challenge. I was never going to stop this as this was my 10th year and I really wanted that 10th gold star.

So, I really can't complain as I still did a fair amount of cycling.
I'll finish on about 6600 miles total. Which all things considered, is not bad really.

How was your 2020?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
1200 so far!
Which is the second highest - looking forward to lots of adventures with longer rides on the tandem next year though!

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Ironically 2020 has been my best cycling year for the last five. More in the fact that I got a bike again in late august and got riding after a long lay off.
outdoor miles are scandalously low compared to what I used to do and I was ashamed at how overweight and unfit I had become, but that’s sorted and I’ve realised how much I missed it.
Even grinding out the miles on the spin bike in the garage, previously a chore has become something to look forward to.

I sympathise with those that couldn’t do club runs, audaxes and tours though. If I had been able to stay cycling at what I used to do I’d be very disappointed in my year.

si_c

Guru
No commuting this year for me - working from home has killed that. Also relatively few leisure miles by my usual standards, I haven't felt like doing longer rides at all this year - I think I've done a couple of 100km rides but that's about it.

Overall I'm hitting about 3000 miles this year - way down on my recent past and more a testament to how many utility miles I've still managed to fit in.

bluenotebob

Veteran
2020 has been a mixture of highs and lows. I'd set myself an annual target of 9000km .. I was ahead of plan at the end of February, then way behind mid-May after the first lockdown .. I cycled myself into the ground trying to catch up. .. only to suffer again with the second lockdown. I'm now on 9225 km for the year (5765 miles) so I did achieve my goal in the end .. but I wonder how much more I could have achieved were it not for being in a very restrictive lockdown for three months.

I pulled out of both the Lunacy Challenge and the Half Metric Century A Month challenge because of the lockdowns.

I've set myself a new target for 2021 and I hope to compete in both the above-mentioned CC Challenges .. but until we get on top of Covid (assuming we ever do) I'm not very optimistic about next year.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Work and family wise it's been a nightmare as I have stated elsewhere at least ATM I don't feel like lieing down on the train track .
Cycling was hammered during the 1st lockdown but the second one combined with Mrs CK rota meant no club rides for over a month only one century ride this year rather than 3-4.total for the year could be around 6800 if I get out over xmas

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Pretty much came to a complete halt on 2 August at a little shy of 3000...I did manage to push it up to 3078 in Nov/Dec. Hope to be on a bike again by Easter :sad: depending on the medics
(I did use a gym bike and turbo Sept-Dec but those don’t count as cycling :okay:)
Lots of short rides on Strava, 302 recorded indeed, not sure I ever managed more than 40 miles in a day though

C R

Guru
Pretty much came to a complete halt on 2 August at a little shy of 3000...I did manage to push it up to 3078 in Nov/Dec. Hope to be on a bike again by Easter :sad: depending on the medics
(I did use a gym bike and turbo Sept-Dec but those don’t count as cycling :okay:)
Lots of short rides on Strava, 302 recorded indeed, not sure I ever managed more than 40 miles in a day though
Hi @vickster , good to see you posting. Hope the recovery is going well.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
4,570 miles so far which is only 100 miles short of my record so looks like 2020 will set the new benchmark
380,000ft of climbing which is 83ft/mile...about normal

I usually have about a month of business trips per year which haven't happened so this has helped the mileage. My average is up a bit too. Mainly helped by doing a lot of hard, shorter rides during the April/May lockdown

We were supposed to do LEJOG this year. Hopefully will happen in 2021 which should make my long-held target of 5,200 miles potentially achievable

6430 miles from New Year's Day to the end of November then nothing in December at all, courtesy of COVID-19. Much of Lockdowns 1 & 2 was spent working from home (so no 20-mile commute) but with much longer afternoon/evening rides. We did have a rather lovely spring and summer, weather-wise - though it seems an awfully long time ago!

I'd like to think the fitness gains of the first 11 months have helped in the last month, and hope to complete the Festive 500 as a means of getting back on the bike.

More annoyingly, I've got a Campagnolo C-Record Delta Groupset on its way as part of a Christmas project, and it's stuck at Calais... Grrrr!

Top Bottom