How has your 2020 cycling year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've still got a road bike, a MTB and a trike ........:blush:

Mburton1993

Über Member
It's been good this year, I've started to get into cycling properly, cycling more often, longer distances, faster, been Blackpool and back a couple of times.

At the start of lockdown in March I had more days off and the roads were quieter, so I cycled more. Then in May I got a BTwin 540 bike frame and forks from Gumtree which helped alot. :smile:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Its not been too bad a cycling year, being retired whats been going on at work hasn't affected me, theres just been the usual general life getting in the way, I've done a bit of DIY this year, and at times the weather's been crap. So I'm around 4700 miles so far, not far off what I usually do, cycling wise its the cafe's being closed thats making things difficult, I do like my mid ride coffee, stopping at the roadside for a chunk of malt loaf and a drink of water isn't the same and makes motivation a problem.

Milzy

Guru
Coming up to 6000 combined virtual & outdoor miles. Had a few decent long rides through the summer with a few 100’s.
In lock down I should have done so much more. Thinking of all the uncertainty probably blocked me a little. All things considered it will do over all.

Domus

Guru
With a week or so to go I have recorded 72 rides and 4,400 Kms. 8 rides short but 1,200 Kms less than 2019. :sad:
Missed the Chorlton Water Park rides, The Friday Night rides, a trip to Mallorca and the Friday's trip to France. Had a 4 day tour of Cheshire during a warm sunny week in September with 3 socially distanced mates which was brilliant for us all. I don't mind riding solo but we are by nature social beings and it really cheered us all up. I do miss coffee stops though. :sad:

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've had a really good year though I've no idea of my mileage. I really struggled to gain motivation to cycle when I first moved to Germany, road riding was really not that much fun or interesting. However, after discovering gravel biking and purchasing my Kona last November, I've really found my mojo again. My new found love of gravel/off-road cycling has seen me exploring my local area and discovering loads of new and interesting places on my doorstep. Thankfully exercise has always been encouraged no matter how tight a lockdown we're in and with the forests and heathland being largely devoid of people, it was the perfect place for socially distanced exercise.

As well as day rides I've been really lucky to get away bike-packing in Slovenia this summer, discovering the gravel tracks of Northern Denmark and the real highlight was taking my son out for his first overnight adventure. I'm also planning another sneaky bivy out on the Heide for next week, I'm just keeping my eyes open for some good weather.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've actually cycled more, and for enjoyment. I did used to do lots of commuting, and not so much fun riding, but after a broken spine from commuting, I gave up five years ago (from commuting)

I've been riding from home at lunch on off road routes much more. I think I'm at least 60% up on most years since breaking my spine and 95% has been off road, rather than alot that was Zwift. Most of it's been local though. I have eaten a whole drive chain on the MTB this year - not cheap, but probably about 2 month's fuel cost that I haven't paid for (cassette, 2 chain rings, chain, wheel and freehub bearings).

I'll have to look at the stats and compare the 'outside' riding this year as it's at least doubled on previous years. Inside riding has reduced massively. :training:

13 rider

Guru
Will reach my yearly total of 11372 miles ( 50km a day ,366 days ) by the end of this week . Worked through the year so commuted ever day and upped my distance to make up for the shorter rides in the first lockdown . Managed to complete the imperial and metric centuries challenges and the half century one as well so not a bad year . Really missed riding with company and lost my mojo to do longer rides just did 1 imperial and metric ton a month .

Brandane

Legendary Member
Not good. I get bored with the same local rides all the time and like to go further afield by train or car for a days ride. Also enjoy holidaying in France with my bike, but that's all been knocked on the head this year. While some were enjoying furlough and the quiet roads of lockdown, I have been working throughout this CV19 malarky. Mileage likely to be somewhere south of 2k miles for the year, so a bit of a write-off and hoping for some improvement in 2021 :smile:.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Distance wise the mileage has halved, about 3000 miles this year. For 2020, I got back into MTB and for road cycling I concentrated more on quality and vertical distance rather than the humdrum-and-quite-normal commute. Been riding more with the family too and also started dark spooky rides into the forest (still on the road though).

Have made new friends in the cycling community and at cafe stops. So the riding has not been about commuting on the flats any more, but more quality type stuff. The difference is with the commute where I had to ride the bike, whereas for recreation I have to force myself somewhat.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Rode my bike on 239 days this year. Longest ride 400km. Settled in to at least one 100km ride per week, back in May. Been exercising outdoors on 301 days. So that’ll be 62 days of hiking.

Been a good year for getting out on bike but it’s missing my big ride events of the year. I think there are 5 rides that didn’t start from home. So it’s very much been a year of local. Hoping to get further afield in 21.

Fittest I’ve been for about 4 years. So looking to maintain through winter and see what 21 turns up.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Like many others I’m well down. I’ve ridden about half the distance of a normal year, so just shy of 3000 km. My longest ride this year was the only full FNRttC, no club rides, no summer tour to Spain (as planned), and reduced commuting. On the plus side, in July I started running for the first time in my life, and will have covered 300 km by the end of the year.

Top Bottom