How has your 2020 cycling year been?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the circumstances I'm happy that I've justed passed 3000 miles, considerably less than last year. Longest ride was two at about 80 miles as I wouldn't stop at cafes or shops. Next year riding wise doesn't look any different, as I won't be able to leave early. As I have explained in another thread about my wifes long term illness I won't go into detail, except to say she's now being fed overnight via a bag and tube in her arm. I have to remove this each morning, hence can't see any long rides unless latest chemo works better than the last.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sometimes, in 2020, I've been down far enough in my cycling that everything looks like up. But it is just cycling, and dealing with what @Goldenretriever and @Zanelad are dealing with would be especially hard in the current situations, had I to go through that all over again.

bruce1530

Guru
It’s been a strange year. I don’t feel like I’ve done any great distances - no really “memorable” trips. And obviously no organised events.

But Strava tells me I’ve done just under 3500km, which is about 300 more than my “best year” so far (2018).
Only 3 of these trips have been more than 50 miles.

But the most telling stat is my Veloviewer tile score.
On 1st January, it was 1138.
Today it is 1139.

So, despite having done about 3500km this year, I’ve not really gone anywhere new!

a.twiddler

Veteran
I can't be as forensically accurate as some on here re mileage -which in comparison to many is just a tiny amount. I started off this year with the intention of getting fitter and to build up my ability to maybe get up to 50 or 60 miles in a day and actually be capable of getting up the next morning! In some ways Coronavirus has put a damper on that as I'd hoped to use this new found fitness to do a couple of multi day trips this summer, and found that aspect of cycling curtailed. However, due to lockdown I found myself cycling a lot more locally, and reliably being able to do 40 odd miles without the need for resuscitation, so I have benefitted from that in a way. The biggest benefit is that due to my solitary cycling and unsociable habits, I have managed to steer clear of the dreaded COV-19 while being able to get out of the house a lot, which has certainly been good for my morale. This has been important as I have had other, unrelated, medical issues which have needed dealing with this year.

Of course the biggest thing for me was discovering recumbent riding which has shone a whole new light on cycling after many years of riding conventional bikes Not only has it opened a new horizon but it has made me appreciate my upright tourer more. The recumbent is comfortable and good for longer rides, even mild off road, but the upright still remains a good useful all round versatile bike, particularly for shorter trips.

So despite the all pervading doom and gloom that has affected everyone, I will be looking ahead to the relaxation of restrictions sometime later next year, and to increase my cycling and get out and about more.

Twilkes

Guru
Reading my Strava stats (they've got some 'Your 2020' thing on the app at the moment) the thing I was most proud of was logging an activity for more than half of the days of the year which, given lockdown and a 3 year old at home full-time for four months, I didn't think I'd get anywhere near.

I can also now climb out of the saddle for extended periods of time whereas before I would last about ten seconds. Generally just been a lot more disciplined about everything this year and have seen some rewards from that.

hoopdriver

Guru
Not such high mileage this year, but lots of hours on the bicycle. With no magazine assignments in the offing, I brought my cameras along on my morning rides and shot them as though they were travel stories - someting that takes a fair bit of time.

Around 8,000km so far (few rides planned next week) and around 105,000 metres of climbing. Few nice days with +180km rides and with around 3,500m of climbing in, also quite a few nice long Alpine climbs of 1500m individually, plenty of "Cols" throughout the Summer with plenty of camping to support it:okay:

I don't record my Brompton rides, nor my dog biking rides but it can't amount to that much.

Best achievement ?

Getting No2 daughter out on a road bike (No3 is already converted to road cycling)

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Mileage was hammered. Eye surgery on both eyes limited rides in January largely to those required for the challenges on here. Had to isolate before lockdown because of child 2, then lockdown meant no commuting. And working from home during lockdown meant work was too intrusive.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Pedalled about 3900 miles so far. Won’t get to last years total but no long summer trip or regular commute. Found lots of new routes around the Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria nexus. Rediscovered the joy of the vacuum flask and packed lunch in my Carradice Corona cafe stops.

Top Bottom