How heavy is your commuting bike?

How much does your commuting bike weigh?

• under 8kg

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 8-9kg

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • 9-10kg

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 10-11kg

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • 11-12kg

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • 12-13kg

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 13-14kg

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • 14-15kg

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 15-16kg

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • over 16kg

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Thursday guy

Thursday guy

Ridgeback are a very under-rated brand, mines an old steel frame (Tange CrMo) but the aluminium frame ones are as good but won't last as long as a steel one (lighter though). My 602 is now over 20 years old and I expect it to last at least another 20 years.

I do find it a bit strange that the Ridgeback Speed I'm planning to get has an Aluminum frame (6061 Heat treated Aluminium to be specific), but still weighs 13.6kg. When you say they don't last as long as steel, but much shorter is their life span?

KneesUp

Guru
My (25 year old steel bike) is about 13kg, although with the lock on it's nearer 14kg. My laptop and power supply in their bag weigh about the same as the frame and forks.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I do find it a bit strange that the Ridgeback Speed I'm planning to get has an Aluminum frame (6061 Heat treated Aluminium to be specific), but still weighs 13.6kg. When you say they don't last as long as steel, but much shorter is their life span?
The lifespan varies from one frame to another as Aluminium is not as resistant to fatigue stresses as steel is but at least 15 years IMO (that's what most makers quote as the 'lifetime guarantee') but nowadays a decent steel frame made with Columbus, Tange or Reynolds tubing tends to be a bit expensive and cheap steel frames will weigh a heck of a lot more so unless you plan on spending £500 (or a lot more) Aluminium will be your best bet.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Using a carrera subway with panniers ATM for 10 miles each way,i dare not get it near the scales but it will be over 16kg fully loaded and once its up to speed it rolls well enough is only hills that slow it down.Over this distance I'm about 2 mins slower than my summer commuter which is an ally road bike with the same panniers.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't have a clue because I'm not that sad. Not.especially heavy.

Be aware that there is universal standard for quoting a bikes . Some manufacturers exclude , tubes and pedals from their arithmetic, so take with a pinch of salt any figures quoted in a catalogue. Go dock a leg over and have a feel to be sure.

And don't get too hung up on weight. A kilo on your waistline or the bikes frame will likely go un noticed. A kilo on the wheels will make a big old difference to the way it rides.

My Ti bike with guards, M+, rack and Dynamo comes in around 13 kg. it's surprising how much it weighs I thought it would be lighter.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Just get on and pedal. Weight is an issue if you're racing (or sad) much more so than a ride to work. I have everything from a skinny road bike to a huge chunk of a hub everything utility load lugger that I commute on, the time difference is measured in minutes not hours. Commute of choice right now is a 10yo ono trek 800 with slick tyres. Comfy and leggy enough to get me rolling along nicely on the flats but still climbing hills without becoming a huge sweaty mess. Comfort and visibility win out for me in a commuter, then load carying and bad weather adaptability, then looking unappealing to thieves, then

Weight is a long way down my list of worries.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wheels heavy, tyres heavy, steel fork heavy, probably relatively heavy handlebars, seat post, basic groupset...you won't find many aluminium bikes under 11kg naked, and those will be a higher grade lighter alu and have a carbon fork

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
An 18kg bike plus luggage does the job on a 20 mile round trip for me. Don't worry too much about it - you're not racing.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Friggin hell, I was worried my Brompton was heavy at about 13kg.

Re the weight, rolling hills and the flat not a problem and hardly noticeable. However, the weight of my B when fully loaded for bank work (change of clothes etc) really does make a difference on the hills on the way home. I really do have to use the really low gears of schlumpf mountain drive to get up them.

Same load on my back on my fixie and I'm a lot quicker going home, but if it's windy or I do 40 miles plus commutes for more than 3 days on the trot - I can end up walking up one mile of 13%.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i use the winter bike in my sig line, with the stem the flipped so the bars are higher, and a bastardised rear mudguard from aldi. looks awful, but gives a better view in traffic and keeps the weight of the rucksack on my shoulders, rather than my back.

no issues with the set-up for the 20 miles each way commute, although if i was speccing a new commuter, i would probably go for something that can take panniers with disc brakes…

You don't need to look up what your bike weighs then add locks, water bottle cage etc etc etc. Just weigh yourself on bathroom scales then weigh your cat, then stuff your cat in your pannier and weigh the bike as you are carrying it. Deduct what you weigh, then weigh you and the cat. Take away what you started with and Hey Presto!

then stuff your cat in your pannier
Cat_tongue.jpg

Top Bottom