How heavy is your commuting bike?

How much does your commuting bike weigh?

• under 8kg

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 8-9kg

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • 9-10kg

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 10-11kg

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • 11-12kg

Votes: 9 14.3%
  • 12-13kg

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • 13-14kg

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • 14-15kg

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • 15-16kg

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • over 16kg

Votes: 13 20.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Yeah and just after Christmas you probably weigh a few kilos more because of all the mince pies, cheese and chocolate you have scoffed! A slightly heavier bike means it is better for training as you have to work harder to keep it moving at a fair old lick rather than a lighter race bike. Get the heavier bike.

subaqua

What’s the point
16.1 Kg according to the tech info. but then add panniers, locks, boots, hard hat, a laptop Noah used as an anchor , tubes and a minitool kit . and probably another 2 kg of filth at the moment !

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
no idea about the actual weight... but what i do know is when i carry it down the stairs before setting off for work I go "ooooffff" ( :sad: ) as i lift it. When i carry it down the stairs when popping over to my parents or a friend's, i go "oooh" ( :smile: ) .. not carrying a laden pannier and a lock really does make a difference. I've never had much interest in what it weighs in numbers and kilothingies... that stuff's just for nobbers.

Exile

According to the manufacturers specification, my current commuting bike weighs 11.5kg stock. Add pedals, rack, lights and the commuting cargo, and it's probably between 20 and 25 kg most days, although I've never been interested enough to weigh it. I could probably shave off a kilo or two, and I could go out and buy a super-light bike, but once I add my 120+ kg self to the equation the whole weight thing becomes a bit of an exercise in futility. I struggle a bit going up the hills, but have a lot of fun going down them.

In the end though, commuting isn't about speed (although thanks to all the commuting I am now quicker than I was), it's about getting to and from work. You can do that with an 8 kg bike or a 28 kg bike, the only difference is when you have to set off, and when you get back.

Road bike is under 9 kg, and MTB is easily 16+ kg

Riding on the MTB has been a chore since I got a road bike. I hate icy days when I am forced onto the MTB!!!

mustang1

Guru
Too blxxdy heavy. A 58cm CX bike with 35mm tires, rack, heavy lock, fenders, and need to drag it up and down the stairs thrubtight spaces. Its a pita. I need a racing bike.

rovers1875

Veteran
As others have said at that price you cannot really lose. My Road bike weighs in at 13.5kg and my hybrid comes in at 14.5kg. Both are great for commuting. As long as the bike is comfy the weight is pretty irrelevant (your commuting not racing). I have never had a Ridgeback myself, but one of the blokes at work ride one and he never has any problems with it.

biking_fox

Guru
I noticed the significantly heavier handling when I swapped my 26"x1.0" specialized All Condiditions for the MarathonPLus. However the lack of punctures has probably made for it! They are notably slower though, and probably almost 1kg heavier for the pair! But yes reliability is great for the commuting bike and certainly worth a slight trade off in weight.

Alu - vs Steel. It used to be a big difference, but modern manufacturing means that they can use less of the stronger but heavier steel so the total weight doesn't come out that different any more.

Top Bottom