How heavy is yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimboalee

P1445_21-11-09.jpg

These were only $24.

tyred

Legendary Member
I bought my spring balance with dial in a pound shop. It may not be as accurate as a modern digital version but life's too short to worry about such things.

Femto

Just weighed my bike. The scale reads 19.8kg which is approximately 43.56lb using the divide by 2.2 method.

It's a Carrera Subway 8 with a aluminium rack, rackbag with multitool, change of clothes, PRK, wallet, keys and phone, all my lights (one of which is a Smart 2x10watt halogen with a bottle sized battery), half a litre of water, cycle computer, airzound, Shimano Nexus 8 hub gears (not the lightest).

I commute with this bike and I can leave the town traffic behind. I live in the Pennines and although it may be easier to climb the hills where I live with a feather-light machine, I suppose the extra effort does me good.

Plus, going downhill is great. :tongue:

gbb

Legendary Member
I can't remember the weights, but i had a 80s Raleigh Clubman 531 apart while rebuilding it, and a Via Nirone in bits replacing the frame under warranty at the same time.
I weighed both frames, and theres not much in it. The Clubman doesnt even have 531 stays or forks and yet its only a tad heavier than the Nirone.

jimboalee

gbb said:
I can't remember the weights, but i had a 80s Raleigh Clubman 531 apart while rebuilding it, and a Via Nirone in bits replacing the frame under warranty at the same time.
I weighed both frames, and theres not much in it. The Clubman doesnt even have 531 stays or forks and yet its only a tad heavier than the Nirone.

That's interesting.

I have a full 531 Peugeot. The bike has MA2 rims 36 hole on Maillard hubs. Stronglight chainset, Mafac brakeset, Simplex Mechs, Atax Franco Italia stem and bars; and a Brooks cuttaway Pro saddle.
Even Miche quill pedals with clips and straps...

It weighs 22.5lb.

Considering all the 'olde world' componentry, the frame MUST be some kind of light.

yashicamat

Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc 09 - 28lbs / 12.7kg

Surly Long Haul Trucker (with rack, SKS guards, 37mm tyres, two cages, speedo etc.) - 34lbs / 15.5kg

Rixon Mongrel (self built steel singlespeed) - with bottle cage, speedo & SKS 'guards - 10.2kg / 22.5lbs

The Surly is quite slow to accelerate at any time, but it seems little affected by a full touring load and it quite happy to cruise at low 20's mph on the flat, even fully loaded. :smile: The Mongrel is a much more agile machine though and really feels it when I'm in hilly country. I bet those sub-20lb super expensive roadie bikes are flippin' quick!

Dave5N

Über Member
Christ my cheap and elderly Ribble is only a shade over 18lb.

I guess the older 'cross bike is under 20. Are you riding solid steel frames?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
My subway 1 according to halfords is 12.45 kg( 27 llbs ), that's without guards , racks panniers and lights .

No idea how much the TDF 02 weighs as i do not have access this time of day to scales and the wife would think i was mad weighing a bike :rofl:

Cranky

Kinesis Crosslight 4t tourer: 28lbs (inc. mudguards & rack)

Kinesis Racelight KiC2 road bike (105 triple): 18lbs

Marin hardtail MTB: 28lbs

Top Bottom