How heavy is yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Giant FCR C - 10kg. (22 lbs, I think).

C

chillyuk

I can't weigh mine.

I assume most people weigh themselves then again holding their bike. My bathroom scales stop at 18 stone, and I am 18 stone!!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
chillyuk said:
I can't weigh mine.

I assume most people weigh themselves then again holding their bike. My bathroom scales stop at 18 stone, and I am 18 stone!!

I have a £4 set of fishing scales on a hook in the garage ceiling. Won't do a refined weight analysis but good for about 4lbs to 50lbs. Can also use it for weighing luggage etc, or so I told myself when I bought it just for the bikes:biggrin:

raindog

er.....
My aly/carbon bike is 9.4 kilos
My steel framed bike is just under 10 kilos
There are some heavy brutes on this thread - sound more like mopeds.;)

weevil

accountantpete said:
ps **** the metric system!

I'm guessing that you've never had to do engineering calculations in imperial units. ;)

porteous said:
The conversion factor kg to lbs is 0.45359.

For those of us who are too lazy to enter that many digits into a calculator:
From kg to lbs, multiply by 2.2
From lbs to kg, divide by 2.2

It's not spot-on, but I doubt that anyone's going to worry about a 0.2% error when weighing bikes.

gavintc

Guru
Cerevelo RS - 17lb
Kinesis TK - 20lb

Quite happy with it, but the Kinesis is a little bike heavier with the winter lights and mudguards fitted.

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Cost benefit

Much more interesting than I thought it would be! Having had a rough look at what we could, I suppose, call loose data, I have come to the following conclusions:

1. Modern high performance bikes can weigh as little as 18 lb but cost between £1000 -£1400.

2. Old fashioned high performance bikes weigh around 24 - 29 lb and can be found in hedges or bought for up to £250, depending on how much work you are prepared to do yourself.

3. This is unlikely to make any difference to anything unless you seriously want to race.

4. Choice of your bike weight is, therefore, based on size of wallet and desired self image (i.e., old fart travelling gently, happy family out for a ride, father knowing tinies are having to put in 10 times the power to weight effort he is (see earlier posts), anal retentives in lycra travelling at speed of light, etc etc. Local topgraphy and reason for travelling ( Commuting, fitness, fun, enjoyment gained by shouting at motorists, etc, also major choice factors.)

5. It is a well known fact that if the human body travels at over 30 mph in the open air you will die*.

So, all in all it proves that cycling is (or aught to be!) a broad church and that a weight between 18 - 33 lb is likely to enable you to have fun regardless of hilly bits, and that if you want a seriously light bike it will cost you. Upgrading (?) from 33lb to 18lb will cost you around £80 per lb lost.

For that money you can buy at least a months worth of best bitter.

*I made this bit up. Actually you will die anyway.

PpPete

Legendary Member
porteous said:
5. It is a well known fact that if the human body travels at over 30 mph in the open air you will die*.

*I made this bit up. Actually you will die anyway.

No you didnt make it up....it was a commonly held opinion before the railway age.

tyred

Legendary Member
MacB said:
I have a £4 set of fishing scales on a hook in the garage ceiling. Won't do a refined weight analysis but good for about 4lbs to 50lbs. Can also use it for weighing luggage etc, or so I told myself when I bought it just for the bikes:biggrin:

At least I'm not the only one who bought scales just to weigh my bikes:laugh:

Top Bottom