How heavy is yours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
'09 BeOne Road - Carbon - 7.9kg (17.5lb)
unknown year Road Fixie - 753 CrMo - 8.1kg (18lb)
Boardman Pro Ltd - Aluminium - 9.8kg (22.5lb)
'07 Specialized HardRock - Aluminium - 13.8kg (30.5lb)
'02 Marin Mill Valley (RIP) - Aluminium - 10.9kg (24lb)

So far statistically my fastest bike is the Boardman, but that's not quite fair as I've only been riding that bike for a week or so & I've not had to deal with the range of conditions that the Marin & the Fixie have had to deal with.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Giant Hard Tail mtb 25lbs
Orange Five Full suss mtb 27lbs

The bikes are so different to ride it's impossible to tell if the weight makes any difference, the Orange is just so much more fun as soon as the hills go down and the trail gets rough/rocky/rooty, and with 2.4 inch tyres, it will always hardwork up hill whatever the total weight.

From my road and track racing days, a light rigid bike with very hard light tubs is a total pleasure to ride on a smooth surface, acceleration is just amazing and climbing is so much easier, but I also made sure I was as light as possible then;)

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
marin bear valley early 90's = 14.2 kg or 31.2 lbs
John Fern racer unknown tubing (forks 531) late 80s early 90s = 10 kg or 22 lbs
Unknown racer with unknown tubes = 13 kg or 28.6 lbs
and the nut behind them 78 kg

Chrisc

Guru
porteous said:
Is that a bike or a piano Chris??

ooh. Just had a squint, that looks seriously Dutch. I hope you live somewhere flat. Anyway, this correspondance has convinced me weight probably isn't important unless you are racing or live in the Celtic fringes. Once you get a bike like that moving in a flat place I bet it needs little input to keep going.

Ha! I sometimes wish it was flat! I'm in the Pennines...BUT with a 20 tooth rear sprocket I can climb the 15% bits slowly.
Think what it's gonna feel like once we get the C2W scheme set up and I get that tasty Orbea under me! :biggrin:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just wieghed my latest Peugoet carbolite 103 tubed bike 13.5 kg all steel rims , bars and stem , once proves it rides nice will start taking steel off and replacing with alloy bars and wheels then see hoping for 11.0kg area

without the rack & rubbish my Orange Clockwork weighed about 21lb I think. It felt lighter than my old hand built road bike did.

I was thinking of buying a German 'ladies' bike for shopping, casual use etc, it weighs 17.5kg. Is that really heavy for a bike like that? I've no idea of casual bike weights as I've always gone for lightweight, apart from a Brompton.

tyred

Legendary Member
17.5kg wouldn't be that heavy for a practical utility type bike in my book. If it's a three speed (or single speed) , you may need to fit a larger rear sprocket as many bikes of this nature are overgeared but that's a minor modification.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Im guessing for my most used bike, just over 20lbs, wont be over 25lbs (Fuji Track with a brake, tri bars and computer and sensors)

CAAD9 probly a bit under 10kg (8.84kg in bikeradar review, not sure size weighed)

montage

God Almighty
under 20lbs.... but still heavy for a full carbon race bike even if it is a 60cm. I'd like to upgrade it to get it to 18lbs or less.

Top Bottom