How Honest Are You?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
You go into Lidl to get a couple of the walking t-shirts that are on offer and whilst there spy a car seat heated massage cushion. Seeing as you're off work all week with a bad back, and the physio has told you to stay off the bike until next weekend, you think the massager sounds like a good idea.

Off to the till with two t-shirts at £4.99 each, and one massager at £14.99, you hand them over to the girl and she scans them then turns to you and says "£10.97 please."

What would you do?

Arch

Married to Night Train
stephec said:
You go into Lidl to get a couple of the walking t-shirts that are on offer and whilst there spy a car seat heated massage cushion. Seeing as you're off work all week with a bad back, and the physio has told you to stay off the bike until next weekend, you think the massager sounds like a good idea.

Off to the till with two t-shirts at £4.99 each, and one massager at £14.99, you hand them over to the girl and she scans them then turns to you and says "£10.97 please."

What would you do?

Hmmm. I think I might just pay up and go on my way gleefully, but I suspect I might forget myself and go "Eh?" and mess it up.

Having worked in shops, and knowing how stuff can go wrong, even with electronic stuff, I might not feel too guilty. It probably makes a difference that I'd perceive the supermarket as big enough to handle their own mistakes - in a small independent shop, I might be more honest.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
I once bought eight items that cost a dollar each. The girl at the checkout got out her calculator and said "That'll be $13.50 please." When I pointed out her mistake she did the sum again on the calculator and said, "You're right. It should be $6.50." I smiled and paid up.

Rob S

I would say....and have said in such situations....'£10.97? Bargain!'...then if the girl carries on with the transaction your conscience is clear...ish. And if she subsequently spots the mistake you don't make yourself look like a devious swine as in both possibilities you have covered your back.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Smile at the person, pay up, say thank you very much and walk off.
If questioned say you didnt realise because you must of been thinking about something else and day dreaming. Very unlikely though.
If they charged me more for something i would be very quick on correcting.

Odyssey

If it was the local corner shop it would be different, but this is Lidl. I doubt the cashier cares, you don't care and probably even Lidl don't care. It's not as if they're going to go bankrupt.

Mumble, give them the money, then run.

Noodley

stephec said:

What would you do?

Take the £14.99 massager back (claiming you lost the reciept obviously) and get more cycling kit in exchange :smile:

Maz

Guru
Noodley said:
Take the £14.99 massager back (claiming you lost the reciept obviously) and get more cycling kit in exchange :smile:
Nah...go back to the shop and try and nick the same stuff you bought earlier...if you get challenged by the staff, show them the receipt of the legit purchase you made earlier. :biggrin:

Top Bottom