How Honest Are You?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
On several occasions I've pointed out that scanners have undercharged me. On at least a couple of times, rescanning has produced the same result and a comment of, "it must be some sort of offer, just pay what the computer says it is."

Computer says.....Yes.

I was thinking the other day all the crimes I have ever committed. Now I regard myself as a fine upstanding member of society, I've never been convicted of anything or cautioned and generally advocate law and order.

So the crimes I have committed (sans traffic offences) are:

Criminal damage
Credit Card Fraud
Public urination
Public nudity
Benefit fraud
Drug smuggling (if you count a henry coming out of Amsterdam)
Shoplifting
Theft

Looking at it in black and white, I appear to be utter scum. But I'm not.
Does anyone else have a string of felonies behind them or is it just me?

col

Legendary Member
Some one obviously put the wrong price ticket on it,as the scanner registered a different price,that will have been correct,so enjoy your surprise saving.If it had been an indipendant shop,i would have probably queried it.

Disgruntled Goat said:
Computer says.....Yes.

I was thinking the other day all the crimes I have ever committed. Now I regard myself as a fine upstanding member of society, I've never been convicted of anything or cautioned and generally advocate law and order.

So the crimes I have committed (sans traffic offences) are:

Criminal damage
Credit Card Fraud
Public urination
Public nudity
Benefit fraud
Drug smuggling (if you count a henry coming out of Amsterdam)
Shoplifting
Theft

Folks, take heed of one who knows. This means he's missing off his list the:
Death by dangerous driving
Stealing 47 cars
Clocking 3,856 cars while in the motor trade. :blush:

Maz

Guru
I find that if you don't have a nectar/club card they suddenly start to manhandle the items as they get scanned!

Too honest for my own good. I wish I could be more devious but I'm the world's worst liar. Yesterday we went out for dinner for our wedding anniversary and the restaurant undercharged us by 20 quid, of course we pointed it out to them...(it was a small independent restaurant in Brum, so my conscience is clear)

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Frankly, I am surprised that everyone is still talking as if the question of paying or not paying is only about how it affects them and their conscience... my main concern would be the effect on the member of staff through my actions. Am I just wierd for considering this?

SheilaH

No, I don't think anyone would expect anything less of you :blush:

yello

In different circumstances I might consider the member of staff. Waiting or bar staff making up shortages, for instance but not at a supermarket checkout where bar codes are scanned. Hmmm, maybe that means I would think about it!

Disgruntled Goat said:

Look no further than any MP. Compared to them you are a paragon of virtue.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Flying_Monkey said:
Frankly, I am surprised that everyone is still talking as if the question of paying or not paying is only about how it affects them and their conscience... my main concern would be the effect on the member of staff through my actions. Am I just wierd for considering this?

no, which is why if they gave me to much change i would say something, but if "computer says yes", i don't, coz it ain't their fault.

Why thank you Alanframe. I think.

Of course I have mitigating factors, I was either:

Young
Drunk
Utterly destitute

The only regret was some personal theft (I found a wallet with cash left in a Library). I was on my uppers and desperate so I took the £30 and handed in the wallet (with cards). It was very wrong but I was in dire straights at the time.

Plax

Guru
Honesty is the best policy. I'd have pointed it out. I have in my day worked in a shop and the shop assistant would have got in trouble if, for example you were asked to produce your receipt for security on the way out, even if the shop assistant made a mistake and didn't realise the error. shoot runs downhill and all that.
I asked for £20 cashback once and got double what I asked for (and was charged for £20). I pointed it out and the cashier seemed very grateful. How many people would have taken that extra £20?

Top Bottom