How Honest Are You?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

I would, unfortunately, smile and pay.

There was one instance where I really cursed myself for being honest. I was on the concourse of Victoria station and was walking behind this man and his ladyfriend. The man opened his wallet and out came a bundle of £20 notes which fluttered to the ground. The man was totally oblivious. Without even pausing to think I said 'excuse me, mate, you've dropped some money'. The man turned round, gave me a filthy look(!) and grabbed the notes, then walked off, tutting.

He didn't even say thankyou.

domtyler

Über Member
Melvil said:

There was one instance where I really cursed myself for being honest. I was on the concourse of Victoria station and was walking behind this man and his ladyfriend. The man opened his wallet and out came a bundle of £20 notes which fluttered to the ground. The man was totally oblivious. Without even pausing to think I said 'excuse me, mate, you've dropped some money'. The man turned round, gave me a filthy look(!) and grabbed the notes, then walked off, tutting.

What were you expecting? A nice blow job off his girlfriend maybe? :smile:

k-dog

Not quite the same but I once got a biology test back at school with 22/25 written on it. I added all the marks up and got 23 so I told the teacher and she checked it again.

Got 21 twice.

Maz

Guru
k-dog said:
Not quite the same but I once got a biology test back at school with 22/25 written on it. I added all the marks up and got 23 so I told the teacher and she checked it again.

Got 21 twice.
Still got 84%, though. Pretty good!

dudi

I would just pay it and leave.

If you have handed over all the items to be scanned, all have passed through the cashiers hands and they still ask you for less than you expected, you can only assume you missed something in the first place.

Who are you, but a lowly customer, to question the casheering skills of the operative in front of you.

Dave5N

Über Member
Yeah. Lidl's cheap enough already, and I don't like to take what isn't mine.

longers

Legendary Member
It's happened to me a couple of times and I say "are you sure?".
If they say "yes" then I'm sure they're right. For a given value of right.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I'd probably point it out. I certainly wouldn't let myself be overcharged, so it doesn't seem fair to let myself be undercharged either.
A small independent shop, I'd definitely point it out.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I wouldn't be shopping at Lidl anyway given their Stasi-like surveillance of staff (see The Guardian yesterday), however I would always correct mistakes. In the end it is the staff who get punished for this kind of thing, not the customer. People who think they are getting one over on 'the Man' might well just end up getting some poor single mother fired...

OP
OP
stephec

stephec

Legendary Member
Noodley said:
Take the £14.99 massager back (claiming you lost the reciept obviously) and get more cycling kit in exchange ;)

I did give that some serious consideration.

Melvil said:

I'd have done the same as well, although if I didn't get a thank you I'd probably have shouted, "it's alright, don't mention it," in a sarcastic voice as he walked away. Same as I do when I hold a door/step to one side to allow someone to pass in a shop, and they don't aknowledge you.

k-dog said:

Got 21 twice.

Did either you or the teacher pass your maths tests? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

As for Lidl, I paused for half a second before handing over the cash and shooting out the door before she could realise. When I got home I checked the reciept and found I had been charged for a 99p set of car mats. On the box was a sticker from said mats that somehow got stuck to the massager box, sh'e scanned the bar code on this rather than the one on the box.

Top Bottom