How hot is a mains plug supposed to get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I think its volts times amps equals watts

Watts divided by Volts give Amps, 2000/240=8ish

Or, to complete the set, Watts divided by Amps = Volts.

:smile:

Wobblers

Euthermic
At 2 kW, a plug will likely get mildly warm. It shouldn't get hot.

the fuse blew ten minutes after posting... put another in (5amp as opposed to the 13amp that blew), that lasted half an hour and blew. I guess the heater is fooked :sad:

I'm not surprised. Your heater's drawing about 8-9 Amps. As a rule of thumb, a fuse will only blow at around 1.5 times its rating, and even then, it'll likely take at least 30 minutes or more to heat up sufficiently before it ruptures. Your heater's probably not drawing a huge current.

A 13 A fuse can get quite hot, even in normal use. That can cause the contact between it and the fuse holder to oxidise, increasing its resistance so making things hotter. Try going over the fuse metal end caps and the fuse holder contacts with a bit of sand paper and seeing if the plug still gets hot afterwards. (Remember to unplug it first before!)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 5555646, member: 9609"]247v here in the Borders (its always just under the 250 had quite a few multimeters over the years)
we're can handle it though, no shandy drinking 220ers in these parts.[/QUOTE]
I am not worthy.....
IMG_0968.JPG

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
[QUOTE 5555653, member: 9609"]we're down a volt the night - hope the electric blanket is getting enough juice, snowing outdoors
View attachment 455823 [/QUOTE]
If you live in a fairly remote rural area, my guess is that at off peak times you will have a high voltage, and at peak times you will possibly be down in the low 220s. It doesn't matter at all, of course.
You might freeze to death if you sleep in late.....:whistle:

Milzy

Guru
I used to work with a maintenance fitting engineer who would sort out electrical jobs on 240 mains without turning off the trip box.
Sometimes he would get a belt but he seemed to be hardened to it. He said it was like a little bite.
When you watch soaps like Corrie they touch a live wire & end up instantly dead.
Wouldn’t you be ok as long as you didn’t clamp onto the source?

Top Bottom