How hot is a mains plug supposed to get?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
This was normal up until the late 1950's

We had several attachments that were a bayonet light fitting plug, with a bayonet light socket for the bulb and a two pin round plug socket.
There were designed so the 'new fangled' electrical items such irons and radios could be powered from the only electrical fitting in the room, the light socket.

You're right and I remember my Mum plugging her iron into the light in the early 60s. But this was 1976!

Brains

Legendary Member
You're right and I remember my Mum plugging her iron into the light in the early 60s. But this was 1976!

Of course !
The only electrical socket in the living room was used by the radio, or later the TV.
The only electrical socket in the kitchen was used by the toaster and later the kettle

My dad was thought odd when he fitted about 4 sockets above the new kitchen work surface in the 1970's. It was because my Mum not only had a toaster but also an electric Kenwood mixer AND an electric kettle !

I remember one of our au-pairs from (West) Germany saving up a weeks wages to buy an electric kettle, as such things were not available in Germany at the time (By Dad put a German plug on it, which had to be specially posted over)

Top Bottom