How important is honesty in your life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I work on " what they need to hear" usually work and family as you have to be careful not to weaken your position.
Friends get it straight wether they like it or not.
I dont have many friends ,but the ones i have are true friends and not irritating needy pita types who need bullshyt reassuring to function.
Oh i tend to say it as it is too:laugh:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Chap in a job interview gets asked the final question.

"what are your weaknesses"
"honesty"
"I don't really think honesty is a weakness"
"I don't give a f&$* what you think"

Tin Pot

Guru
Generally speaking, I like to be honest whenever & where ever I can. I would say this is 100% of the time with friends, collegues and family. Sometimes total honesty can hurt or offend the other person.

So what about our dealings with organisations and companies? Are these places fair game for some BS because we may feel that they tend to be economical with the truth.

As I have got older I think I have become more honest. I do wish I could be 100% with every person in every one of life's situations. But, it can be hard to be straight in a bent world.

Just an example: I could say, 'insurance companies are honest'. If I asked them, 'do you use delaying tactics on settling claims', would they ever say yes?

So where do you stand? Is your level of honesty reflected by the level of honesty of the individual/organisation that you are interacting with? Or, it could be that we may feel we have so much to lose if we are too honest.
Less and less.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Years ago I was in Sainsbury to get a few supplies with my last £5 before 'Giro Day' (Cat Biscuits, Bread and some Veggies/Spuds) and the girl on the till gave me my change and then gave me the £5 back. "I think you've made a mistake" I told her, "I don't make mistakes" she snapped in reply so I stuck the £5 in my pocket and walked off.

I may have stopped off for a couple of pints on the way home. :cheers:

Slick

Guru
Years ago I was in Sainsbury to get a few supplies with my last £5 before 'Giro Day' (Cat Biscuits, Bread and some Veggies/Spuds) and the girl on the till gave me my change and then gave me the £5 back. "I think you've made a mistake" I told her, "I don't make mistakes" she snapped in reply so I stuck the £5 in my pocket and walked off.

I may have stopped off for a couple of pints on the way home. :cheers:
That's just common sense.:laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
My customer in Sudan pays me through the Hawala system, which relies on the honesty of the brokers to work. He sometimes owes us £200,000 but has never let us down in 18 years of trading.

Last week he said to me: "You know, I sometimes consider you as a brother Muslim, because unlike other Europeans you trust us" which i took as a great compliment.

gbb

Legendary Member
If i were being honest I'm honest with personal friends and family but don' care much for businesses.

Funnily enough, I developed a good lying ability in a former job, not for bad things but simply to get me through the day and it gave me time to put things right I'd forgotten. One occasion I straight faced gave some bull to a senior manager about some bits I'd forgotten to order and we were now in need of. They'e on order I said, I'll go chase them up.
Manager looked at me and said...ring them from that phone...as he nodded to the desk, has he rumbled me ?
'I can't' I straight faced lied, 'I don't know their number off hand....and never batted an eyelid.

I will often come clean and then say...
'At least I'm honest about my dishonesty'

Top Bottom