How important is honesty in your life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Well.... from here it looks like you'd flatten a lot of grass.
Charm the birds straight out the trees. :laugh:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
What exactly does 'honesty' mean in this thread? It's a general, and genuinely open question, but aimed primarily at those who say they value it before other stuff like love or kindness or a good breakfast or whatever. Is it about an adherence to an idea of 'the truth', or more an openness about the self, or something else entirely?

Tin Pot

Guru
What exactly does 'honesty' mean in this thread? It's a general, and genuinely open question, but aimed primarily at those who say they value it before other stuff like love or kindness or a good breakfast or whatever. Is it about an adherence to an idea of 'the truth', or more an openness about the self, or something else entirely?

I believe in an objective reality, I also believe that denying people their right to experience it is heinous. Lying to people is depriving them of reality. It’s unconscionable.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I looked up "honesty" on Google. I thought that the wiki entry was rather good. It didn't encompass "good breakfasts" though.

Honesty - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honesty
  1. Cached
  2. Similar
Honesty refers to a facet of moral character and connotes positive and virtuous attributes such as integrity, truthfulness, straightforwardness, including straightforwardness of conduct, along with the absence of lying, cheating, theft, etc. Honesty also involves being trustworthy, loyal, fair, and sincere.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I believe in an objective reality, I also believe that denying people their right to experience it is heinous. Lying to people is depriving them of reality. It’s unconscionable.
And how do people who do not share your beliefs get to apprehend that 'reality' (assuming, as you do, that such a thing is desirable)?

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
In personal life, absolutely vital. That's assuming it's not a 'white lie'- and one of those depends on the circumstances...
Being lied to hurts.
Being treated like a liar when you know you're being entirely honest, because the person has been lied to again and again and they doubt everyone, hurts even more.
A good friend or partner isn't afraid to tell you when you've crossed a line, when you're plain wrong, or just talking BS. Or to hear the same from you. I'm lucky to have had one of those in my life for nearly 25 years.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I looked up "honesty" on Google. I thought that the wiki entry was rather good. It didn't encompass "good breakfasts" though.

Honesty - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honesty
  1. Cached
  2. Similar
Honesty refers to a facet of moral character and connotes positive and virtuous attributes such as integrity, truthfulness, straightforwardness, including straightforwardness of conduct, along with the absence of lying, cheating, theft, etc. Honesty also involves being trustworthy, loyal, fair, and sincere.
Cheers Slowmo, but we've all got Google (not to mention an understanding of commonplace words and ideas). I was hoping for a little more commitment, or personal engagement.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I like this saying:

The British are too polite to be honest whereas the Germans are too honest to be polite.
My sister told me about friends of hers who were visited by friends they'd made while on holiday in Germany who, when asked what they thought of the decoration in the living room, said they thought it was overly ostentatious and a bit vulgar, and were taken aback when their hosts took umbrage.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Cheers Slowmo, but we've all got Google (not to mention an existing of commonplace words and ideas). I was hoping for a little more commitment, or personal engagement.
Kenneth Williams.png

Top Bottom