How important is the weather for a ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
In my case, very important. I always know where I am going to do my ride before I start and , to that effect, check the forecast before hand. If rain or high winds are forecasted, I don't go. I am planning on a 40 miles ride tomorrow but the forecast is high temperature, 25 degrees plus. If that is the case , I will cancel and wait for lower temperatures later on in the week.
I am fully aware that I am not a sun worshipper. When I was younger, I nearly passed out on two occasions when staying for too long in the sun. There is always another day.

Slioch

Guru
I don't mind a bit of rain, or cold, but I can't stand the wind. I always check the weather forecast before heading out and try to plan my ride accordingly so I get the wind behind me on the way back.

I don't mind a bit of drizzle, but I won't go out if it's proper raining. Cold isn't a problem - that's solved by the right clothes. Hot is fine up to about 24C. More than that and I really struggle, but that's solvable by riding in the evening once the heat of the day has gone.

Wind is the big issue here as it's so open - it just blows right through and there's nothing to stop it. Means that some rides just end up being unpleasant grinds. If it's very windy I won't go out, simply because I'm small, and my bikes are small, and a gust can easily deposit me on to the wrong side of the road and potentially into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

Zipp2001

Veteran
I'll ride in most weather conditions, but need a little push to go out if it's raining. My best and longest rides happen when it's hot and humid as I like to go out when it's at it's highest temp of the day. Seeing that I ride year round I've been out in some really cold temps which can be a different kind of fun. It's fun going out in a snow storm.

This year my high riding temp was 38.3 Celsius / lowest riding temp was -26.6 Celsius

Zipp2001

Veteran
I don't mind a bit of drizzle, but I won't go out if it's proper raining. Cold isn't a problem - that's solved by the right clothes. Hot is fine up to about 24C. More than that and I really struggle, but that's solvable by riding in the evening once the heat of the day has gone.

Wind is the big issue here as it's so open - it just blows right through and there's nothing to stop it. Means that some rides just end up being unpleasant grinds. If it's very windy I won't go out, simply because I'm small, and my bikes are small, and a gust can easily deposit me on to the wrong side of the road and potentially into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

I'm on the heavy side so wind isn't an issue pushing me around to much, but wind just makes for a good fight.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll hang back if it seems like it'll stop raining. On the ride when it starts, I'll carry on. Time may be a wasting, with worse on the way.

Wind, seldom been something to stop a ride. On the tops when there's lightning can be interesting. You tend to get the rain and wind at the same time.

Ohhh I love this topic! I just ride my bike!:laugh:

I start in the same place no matter what. I don't plan rides around the weather. If I start into a headwind, I know I will have a tailwind somewhere. I adjust to the weather. If I start with a tailwind, I conserve knowing I will have to fight my way back. Only thing I might avoid is riding in traffic with high winds, safety concerns.

A little taste of the wind around here. 35-40 mph winds with gusts up to 60 MPH. Not many riders around when it's like this ha ha!

The reason I love this topic is because so many people don't ride when the conditions aren't perfect out here in Southern California. My wife is a trooper and I love the fact that she just goes along with me no matter what. We have a local forum where there are some self proclaimed "SUPER TOUGH" riders that do it all. But yet they are at in the AC when temps go above 80 degrees and at home when it drops below 60. :cry:

First time my wife said it was windy, I told her it was all about a ride plan. Conserve on the easy parts and keep the fuel for when you need it. At times we ride the trail and see 200 other riders along our usual 45 miler. Ride a windy day, you might see 10! :tongue:

She has done every wind ride with me over the last 20 years. 30-40 MPH winds with 60+ gusts.

I took this pic because it shows the wind. The palm trees in the wind, the sand and her hair. 45 mile ride.

110908A.jpg

This was a windy ride up a mountain pass. Her hair also blowing in the wind. 40+ MPH winds and about 2,000 ft elevation gain.

051411b.jpg

The heat? My wife suffered at first as she had never really participated in outdoor sports till I introduced her to cycling 20+ years ago. She was really fair skinned but after a summer in the sun, she was 3 shades darker and actually handled the sun much better. :girldance:

She's not crazy about the heat but it does not stop her from riding.

8 mile climb up a local mountain road. Temps soar on the climbs in the summer. But vary big time with the elevation differences.

After 8 miles and 2100 ft of gain. It was hot so I had to allow for the pout. She doesn't usually make unhappy faces like this ha ha!

090414G_zpsce869ff5.jpg

temps

GMR1.JPG

Over cast hot humid day, 3,000 ft up the local mtn road.

IMG_6884.JPG

After the ride, some well deserved sweat stains.

IMG_6898.JPG

During the summer we did a century. She did very well in the heat. Two weeks prior to this, our ride was actually harder as it was about 10 degrees warmer. But this was her 100 mile ride.

Gina Century1.JPG

This is what she looked like after 100 miles, still smiling.

IMG_1794LRA.JPG

Rain? We don't get much but that is her in the red pulling the guys in the rain. :girl: I did give her my wind breaker after she gave hes to another girl (just behind her, hidden) as the other gal came unprepared. So I got pretty wet ha ha!

013016O_zpswzfc6voa.jpg

I dunno, I just ride. I've had ride partners say that I must have a built in radiator as I never really get too hot or too cold. Funny, after my Mom heard some of the stories from buddies about this topic, she told them that when I was a little kid, I would always play outside no matter what, rain, heat, wind, and that she always thought it was strange that I never complained about the weather.

Many cycling buddies tell Gina that she's tough because she has to be to ride with me. We don't let weather stop us from riding. I think it's all getting acclimated to the weather though. Nothing too amazing or impossible.

Saturday, my climb up a mountain road. 90 degree average temp, 3,018 feet of gain and I'm wearing an under layer. Sunday, a ride on the bike trail, also 90 average temp, still wearing an under layer. Friends think I'm crazy!

In short, weather is never really important to me, I just ride my bike! :dance:

DSCN0858A.JPG

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
If it's windy I just head out into the wind so that it blows me home. On occasions I've taken the train out west and ridden back east with the wind.

Snow is fantastic for off-road riding and snow by night even better as the LED light illuminates everything.

I never set out in rain.

Top Bottom