How is it possible to replace your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Reading here, lots of people replace their bikes with nicer ones every so often. But I find myself very attached to my bikes, and thinking back over all the bikes I’ve ever owned, I’ve never actually replaced one. I’ve had one nicked, a couple written off, and a couple broken way beyond any economic repair (frame snapped etc).

I don’t think I could do it. After all, that’s the bike I towed my children with/went over the Galibier on/ did my first century on/ cycled to Germany /etc.

The only bike I’ve every got rid of in working order was my track bike, sold after not using it for 5 years or so but not replaced.

I will fairly soon take delivery of a new road bike for best – as a special treat and in anticipation of the current 10+ year old one not lasting a whole lot longer. Will I be able to get rid of the old, now entirely worthless one? I doubt it. I went over the Galibier on it!

sheddy

Legendary Member
Because new bike is faster/more comfortable/less effort ?

Reading here, lots of people replace their bikes with nicer ones every so often. But I find myself very attached to my bikes, and thinking back over all the bikes I’ve ever owned, I’ve never actually replaced one. I’ve had one nicked, a couple written off, and a couple broken way beyond any economic repair (frame snapped etc).

I don’t think I could do it. After all, that’s the bike I towed my children with/went over the Galibier on/ did my first century on/ cycled to Germany /etc.

The only bike I’ve every got rid of in working order was my track bike, sold after not using it for 5 years or so but not replaced.

I will fairly soon take delivery of a new road bike for best – as a special treat and in anticipation of the current 10+ year old one not lasting a whole lot longer. Will I be able to get rid of the old, now entirely worthless one? I doubt it. I went over the Galibier on it!
I’m the same. Unless they go in the skip, I’d rather just refresh the ones I have, with new bits.

Gunk

Guru
If you are attached to your old bike, why not strip it and rebuild/improve it it so you can enjoy another 10 years with it.

I have 12 year old S Works Epic which I’m really attached to and I can’t ever see myself selling it. If you end up finding the right bike they can become a keeper. I’ve only chopped them in because I didn’t quite gel with it.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I usually just upgrade components on existing bikes. My fixed-wheel, for instance, only has the cranks from the original bike. It's on its fifth frame.
However, I recently, with some trepidation, ordered a new complete bike from Richard Hallett. We had long discussions beforehand about frame materials & angles, gearing, wheels, etc. The result is a very fine machine, a pleasure to ride.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’ve not yet found the perfect bike I guess (and the five I have are all different to one another). I’ve not bought a new bike this year actually...

lane

Veteran
Written a couple of bikes off. Sold a couple. Had one stolen. One I sold probably should have kept but the money went to the new bike which was overall better for the cycling I do. If my current one was stolen or written off I would replace with exact same as it is perfect for me.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I've only replaced mine because the frame has either been damaged beyond reasonable repair costs, theft, or because of a flaw I wasn't happy with. The smallest thing can drive me nuts. It has to be absolutely perfect.
The last frame went because of stupid tyre clearances which limited me to a handful of available tyres.
Hopefully the current one will grow old alongside me.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have no emotional attachment whatsoever to any of my bikes - they are just pieces of machinery, not people! I keep them because I can't afford to replace them, but I don't need to anyway because they do what I need them to do.

If the day comes when a replacement is affordable and necessary for some reason, then I will go about it without hesitation. I would do my best to sell (or give) the old bike to a keen new owner though.

Drago

Legendary Member
Bikes that I really dig, that I love the feel of, or which fit me supremely well...those are the bikes I would never sell. I have 2 that fit that bill - any of the other 6 could be replaced and it wouldn't worry me.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have no emotional attachment whatsoever to any of my bikes - they are just pieces of machinery, not people! I keep them because I can't afford to replace them, but I don't need to anyway because they do what I need them to do.

If the day comes when a replacement is affordable and necessary for some reason, then I will go about it without hesitation. I would do my best to sell (or give) the old bike to a keen new owner though.
^^This^^

Top Bottom