How kind of Norton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nellietheelephant

Also virtually impossible to 'unpick' it from your computer, it has 'tentacles' everywhere.

Which is why there's a Norton uninstall tool to remove all traces.

nellietheelephant

Just turn off all firewall programs. They make your computer run slow and there is little threat outside of Email scams. To hammer home the point, i was looking at a North Korean based website which lists a few recipes and culinary advice which i found interesting and a rare look inside the regime.... Absolutely no hacks happened or virus's received.

%&&%$%$£$@@@£"@"@@£$

View attachment 719896

More utter nonsense. Firewalls exist for a reason, yet you irresponsibly post this 'advice' despite knowing nothing about it.

nellietheelephant

Yup - and fixing computer is kinda my job

If I found it difficult to spot all its hooks then your average person would have had no chance

Probably easier on Windows 10/11 in some ways - but not all!

Clearly not "and fixing computer is kinda my job". But maybe try starting with constructing a cogent sentence.......

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
More utter nonsense. Firewalls exist for a reason, yet you irresponsibly post this 'advice' despite knowing nothing about it.

2FEE5E%2Fproduction%2F_105822016_mediaitem93216966.jpg

The other day I was thinking how pleased I was with my little Celeron N4120 laptop which only has 4GB memory and how brilliantly it was running, fast and stable and its a tiny little computer with a 11" screen and I get 8hrs or more of battery life. I'd completely forgotten I'd installed Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC on it and used debloating software to speed it up even more. I remember what it was like when it came with Norton installed and a full version of normal Windows 10 Pro when I ordered it from cash converters for £50. It ran like a snail with constant pauses. It's like a different computer. It even makes a good go at running some games now with Fallout 4 the best I've achieved at an admittedly terrible low resolution and low frame rate but it amuses me just to see it working to a point. Skyrim is fully playable on it. Like others I'm perfectly happy with Microsoft Defender and I've seen tests where it comes out quite high in finding viruses.

tyred

Legendary Member
Nonsense.
But do feel free to explain you ourtageous comment.

I admit I have no recent experience but when I dabbled in computer repairs, putting Norton on any PC always slowed it to crawl.

Mike_P

Guru
Now McAffee is a pain to get rid of. Never used it beyond what was installed initially but on my 3rd oldest laptop, now a screen less base unit it genuinely offered some function today. Checked and it not listed as an installed app.

Last edited:
Now McAffee is a pain to get rid of. Never used it beyond what was installed initially but on my 3rd oldest laptop, now a screen less base unit it genuinely offered done function today. Checked and it not listed as an installed app.

It might be installed as a different name - check them all
I have seen anti-virus programs do this

if not check the autostart programs and see if can be spotted there
or in services

Fastpedaller

I had McAfee many years ago - it came with 1 year free when we bought the computer so we kept going. When we wanted to cancel it became a huge pita. We knew it was due for renewal in October, so we sent an email in August stating we wanted to cancel. By September mcAfee said "we want to make sure your comp is protected, so we'll renew your subscription" ie early. Three emails later and no reply we got a message saying "Please tell our marketing consultant what your experience is of McAfee in the survey attached". So I let rip, stating If they didn't cancel and give a refund I'd be contacting the UK Press and Consumer associations. A week later we received a refund (and still lost £2 due to currency movements but hey-ho I was just glad to be without them. The only time (that we know of course) we had a virus McAfee didn't alert us, isolate it, or get rid of it - It took us 45 mins with a set of instructions from a friend. A very clever virus, it had used the mailbox of someone in our car club and sent us all the virus in an email for a subject he had used and we all expected the mail that came from 'him'
The thing we did wrong when signing up to McAfee (this may benefit other people to know, and applies to any subscription) was to agree to a continuing payment (sorry I don't recall the name) which wasn't a direct debit or standing order so we couldn't stop it via our bank!

ETA The virus we got was particularly clever because it downloaded because the preview page was active, and didn't need a file downloaded (indeed I definitely didn't download anything because I saw the file attached was .exe. Very clever scammers/destructive people out there!

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yes, agreed.

Absurdly, 2 mates of mine, do not trust MS inbuilt protection (brilliant imo), and religiously fork out every year for this sort of product.

a couple of decades ago the MS AV software wasn't the best, but the others all had their problems too... mostly by slowing down page load times or simply blocking bonefide features. These days, the MS one is fine but no product can fully defend against a user haphazardly downloading some malware, which is usually what happens IME.

Top Bottom