How lighter wheels worked for my wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
I've written a review of the product, Pro-Lite Allein XC wheels, in the Review section, along with prices, but here is how they seemed to work for my wife.
I've never really seen anyone stating weight saving v's perceived benefit, so here's a go.

The wheels weighed in at 1592g her original ones were 2183g,
She also changed her 203mm Front rotor to 160, saving this weight and the caliper spacer weight. She's quite light, and doesn't push like a professional, so probably the disk was over specced for her needs. This gave a saving of 119g also giving a total benefit of 710g
So Rear was 335g lighter, front with disk, 375g

right, she is 43, I'm 49 - so not kids, and not too adventerous, not got the strength anymore!
Her bike was about £700, mine a self build which seems comparable to approx £1800 bikes I see advertised, both hardtail mountain bikes.

For me not too familiar with the bike, it felt less "heavy", more nimble, it felt closer to my bike, less cheap. Less clumsy perhaps is a word that comes to mind. That's about all I can say.

My wife was over the moon though, massive difference she says.
On the flats, just easier she says more manouverable as well. More responsive. On the hills a lot easier. I did notice on one hill we often do, she always is in 1'st gear, she did it in 2nd this weekend. I did comment to her, and she said "I thought I was in 1'st" was it the wheels?

One big benefit I never anticipated was suspension quality. I have rockshock, Reba dual air, really light and good quality. Her's are Manitou Black Comp coil spring shocks. She's a bit of a chicken and often says "I doesn't feel safe" on fast downhills in the woods. Now she says it feels safer and smoother. Especially noticed over tree roots. I have to assume the suspension can track better with less unsprung weight, ie. it can control the lighter weight underneath it better? seems so. She was a lot braver and faster anyhow.

Curiously, she says the 160 rotor brakes, brake better than the factory fitted 203mm one, anyone any thoughts?

Anyhow, for her, she says it's massivley better and well worth the £175, plus £10 for the disk, transformed the bike she says - feels more expensive and more responsive. Mind I suppose it depends on how much you can afford that much.

She's now got her eye on my shock ;-)

Jeff

PpPete

Legendary Member
Lighter wheels worked for me too, but then my wife had to get some, now my kids want some too!

Globalti

Legendary Member
My wife has a Spesh Myka, which is comfortable but as heavy as hell. The trouble is that she doesn't ride it enough to want to upgrade it but I keep telling her that she would ride more if it was lighter. I've got some Rebas in the garage, maybe I'll fit those and my own MTB wheels to let her see the difference.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
On road bikes after a good quality frame the best thing to do is fit some lighter wheels. Always worth doing. Lighter wheels climb better because the little accelerations when pedalling are taken up better than with heavy wheels. My MtB is a pig to ride compared with my road bike because it's wheels and tyres are just so much more heavy.

Top Bottom