How long do tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
That photo does put a different complexion on the matter. Down to the canvas and the carcass is showing signs of major failure - not good.

The last time I saw a tyre looking that bad was on my brothers old bike that he used to do skids and tricks with as a child.

Time for some new rubber.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
I have only had the bike a few months and have done 1000 miles from new. I have NEVER skidded on it as far as I can recall. I'm not particularly heavy (about 85kg) and only ride on the road and have never crashed it or fallen off it (although I have fallen off my other commute bike). I don't know why the tyre has failed so badly.

Davidc

Guru
Crankarm (post #10 above) is quite right. Forget fairies and look for causes and cures.

I've never tried the Armadillos but have used Marathons and Marathon plus, which give good life and few punctures. Even so I've had 2 punctures in a bit over 2000 miles on my rear marathon (standard). Within 18 hours and 15 miles and from totally different causes. Just bad luck, and as CA says it was my fault for not spotting the rubbish/ hedge timmings in the road fast enough.

That tyre is shot. Buy new ones. Make sure your wheel isn't damaged as that type of wear is often due to non-uniform braking over the rotation of the wheel.

I've never yet been happy with the tyres supplied with new bikes. I change them and keeep them as emergency spares, then put them back before I re-sell the bike.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Oddly enough, I find punctures come in waves - go for ages without any and then, just like buses.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
It's true what Crankarm and Davidc say about the puncture fairy. I have done 4,300 miles on my standard Marathons and they are still serviceable; no noticeable wear on the front, and the rear is OK for a few miles yet. I have worn out an Alex DH19 rim on the rear in that time (or rather the Highway Authority's crap roads have). I've also not had a puncture yet in 4,300 miles. (Blimey, I hope the puncture fairy didn't hear that!)

Brandane

Legendary Member
It's true what Crankarm and Davidc say about the puncture fairy. I have done 4,300 miles on my standard Marathons and they are still serviceable; no noticeable wear on the front, and the rear is OK for a few miles yet. I have worn out an Alex DH19 rim on the rear in that time (or rather the Highway Authority's crap roads have). I've also not had a puncture yet in 4,300 miles. (Blimey, I hope the puncture fairy didn't hear that!)

Nice to see someone else calling a puncture a PUNCTURE. There you go, puncture fairy, I don't believe in you so I will probably get a PUNCTURE today. Puncture, puncture, puncture :smile:.

MrHappyCyclist

Riding the Devil's HIghway
Here is the dodgy section which has a strange bulge as well as a hole :cry: View attachment 9174
I see the problem. You should stop using that angle grinder to clean the tyres after every ride! :smile:

machew

Veteran
Nice to see someone else calling a puncture a PUNCTURE. There you go, puncture fairy, I don't believe in you so I will probably get a PUNCTURE today. Puncture, puncture, puncture :smile:.

Please this is just as bad as talking about the Scottish Play

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I got visited yesterday by the p fairy and again today and it made me wonder about 2 things:
  1. Can you thing of any reason the same tyre would have 2 p fairy episodes 6 miles apart? They were in diferent places and I checked inside the tyre and under it very carefully both times before changing the tube and found nothing.
  2. I had a close look at the tryre and it looks a bit battered and bobbly. I've only done about 1000 miles on it so could it really need changing?
BTW these are the only 2 psss I've had on this bike in those 1000 miles.

BTW (2) there were punctures in the tube indicating that both times they were pierced from the outside if you see what I mean.

Living in the Chilters, about 50 miles (or one ride) if your lucky. Ive tried them all but nothin out there can stand the small flints around this area so Ive simply accepted the fact that the trade-off for nice cycling roads is damaged tyres.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have continental CityRides on mine. About 8,000 miles and counting. With plenty of tread left on them.
000_0001-3.jpg

(On the left)

Top Bottom