How long do tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
With Michelin Pro Race 3 tyres, roughly 2100 miles on the rear and 3000 miles on the front.
Sounds about right. With various 700x23 I usualy reckon to get around 4000 kilometers. When the rear is knackered, I replace it with the one up front, and replace the front with a new one.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Just out of interest, has anyone completely worn out a set of Marathon +, and how long did it take (mileage)? I'm up to 2k and still aren't considering of changing them yet :tongue:

tyred

Legendary Member
I have never used Marathons (I'm sure they're very good) but I would put a vote in for Michelin City tyres. Quite cheap, easily the most durable tyre I've come across so far, 2,000 miles, no punctures and they look the same as the day I put them on with no obvious tread wear or any sign of little cuts and bits of damage you sometimes see.

The only thing to be wary of it that they are over-sized. Mine are supposedly 27 x 1 1/4" but look more like 37 rather than 32 and this could cause problems on tight fitting frames.

BSRU

A Human Being
It's also well worth carefully squeezing the deflated tyre all the way round to check for buried small flints etc. - having had two punctures in quick succession despite checking round inside the tyre with my finger, when I squeezed the tyre I found a tiny flint embedded in the tyre.
+1
Every so often I take off the tyres to look at any cuts.
I squeeze the tyre around any cuts to open it up to look inside for hidden glass fragments trying to work their way to the tube.

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Sadly (for me) I had another puncture on the same tyre today (0 punctures in 1000 mile, 3 punctures in 12 miles). It has a hole in it and looks a bit bent!

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My Marathon+ tyres have done about 4,000 miles, and they still look fine. That's nearly 3 years without a puncture on them!

OP
OP
Thomk

Thomk

Guru
Here is the dodgy section which has a strange bulge as well as a hole :cry:
Dodgy Tyre.jpg

GrasB

Veteran
What are you guys doing to your tyres? I'm getting about 2500 miles out of Ultremo ZXs, 4500 miles out of Vittoria Rallys & 8500 miles out of Durano Plus'. Yes that is miles not KM

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What are you guys doing to your tyres? I'm getting about 2500 miles out of Ultremo ZXs, 4500 miles out of Vittoria Rallys & 8500 miles out of Durano Plus'. Yes that is miles not KM

Yup, same with my Rubinos (3000+ miles and only 1 puncture) Spesh Armadillos (2000+ miles no punctures).

Top Bottom