How long do tyres last?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Many people use old bikes with old cracked tyres esp as short range pub/shopper bikes. If you are going further or to work, you need tyres you can rely on.

That's precisely what I do, as my habit of buying only secondhand bikes or salvaging dumped ones means I have a pile of old secondhand tyres.
For local use within a range of 2-3 miles from home I will ride on any tyre that will hold air, no matter how scruffy. The worst case scenario is an annoying walk home.
On the bikes I do my longer rides on, I'm pretty fussy about tyres though. I use the excellent Schwalbe Marathon Greenguards or Delta Cruiser+, depending what is available on a good deal.

MntnMan62

Über Member
How long do they last you say? Well, until they go flat my good woman.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I get through a set of GP5000 every 12 months, around 5000 miles. Last time I changed the LBS looked at me and said "You're having a laugh." - we're good friends!! :laugh:

When I ran Gatorskins I would get around 18 months.

It all depends on mileage. My only advice would be if your planning a long tour be sure the tyres are up to it. I once set off on a short three day tour. About 6.00pm on the first day the rear tyre went bang! Foolishly I hadn't noticed it was completely worn out. Not good. Personally I wouldn't risk 12 year old tyres

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
For local use within a range of 2-3 miles from home I will ride on any tyre that will hold air, no matter how scruffy. The worst case scenario is an annoying walk home.
No, the worst case is an explosive deflation as the tube pokes out of the tyre, at a crucial moment in a corner, causing a crash.

It's rare. I've seen it once in 40ish years riding. Never suffered it. I've even seen a couple of other tyres fail without much consequence besides the bike stopping.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
No, the worst case is an explosive deflation as the tube pokes out of the tyre, at a crucial moment in a corner, causing a crash.

It's rare. I've seen it once in 40ish years riding. Never suffered it. I've even seen a couple of other tyres fail without much consequence besides the bike stopping.
Interesting I hadn't thought of this aspect but only yesterday was thinking of a friend who crashed badly 5-6 years ago.

On a fast tricky descent he passed me at speed, too fast in my view but he was a very good rider. From round the approaching corner I heard a bang, on rounding the corner my friend is laying in the middle of the road, broken collate bone, bike a write off and he has rarely ridden since. Yes, he was riding at speed but demonstrates the importance of good tyres and the potential for serious consequences should any tyre fail regardless of age.

Ive had one explosive failure, a thin sidewall failled after a lot of abuse from tyre levers. It hapoened on a quiet flat bike trail so ni harm dome except a walk out.
I'm always cautious of riding like a professional on a closed road, when I am an amatuer on the open road. Ive seen too many cars cut corners going uphill to push hard on a descent and hug the racing line.

Reactions: mjr

Mr Celine

Discordian
I'm with @mjr, Nimbus Armadillos are IMHO dangerous. I had a pair as original fitting on my Sirrus and both failed in the same way with the tread separating from the carcass. I don't think they lasted over 2000 miles. They also had a bone hard ride.
They were replaced with Gatorskins, which are just as puncture resistant, last five times as long and are far more comfortable.

Schwalbe 'Blizzards' lasted a long time for me, quite a few years ago:laugh:
I only knew they were in that state. because someone asked if I'd been riding through red paint

Taken late 2007
576753 576754 576752

My present CGR was ordered with a pair of Schwalbe Durano DD, but the rear 'flatted', so cornering got a bit odd
After another pair of the same, it's now on Marathons
(all in '28' section)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
For low hassle reliability I would always go for Marathon Greenguard or Delta Cruiser+, depending what is on offer at the best VFM at the time you are purchasing. Both have the same level of puncture protection, just one degree below M+, but Greenguards have a lower rolling resistance and longer-lasting rubber compound. On that basis, I'm prepared to pay a few quid more for Marathons, but I'm not going to pay double, so what I've bought has depended what deals were available. Sometimes it's been Marathons, sometimes DC+. I never buy tyres as a distress purchase, and I never pay full retail price.
I always buy as future stock when the special offers are right and put them aside until I need to replace a tyre.

Last edited:

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
I’ve had to retire my Schwalbe Durano Plus rear tyre, as it has developed a bump on the side wall.
My records show that it’s covered 24,000 miles. Quite a lot of that is turbo use, which isn’t as destructive as roads, but I’m still impressed by its longevity.
Never punctured, either.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I’ve had to retire my Schwalbe Durano Plus rear tyre, as it has developed a bump on the side wall.
My records show that it’s covered 24,000 miles. Quite a lot of that is turbo use, which isn’t as destructive as roads, but I’m still impressed by its longevity.
Never punctured, either.
Thats really good mileage for that tyre. I run the same on my commute bike through the mean streets of SE London the rear usually lasts about a year and 7000-8000 miles before blue starts showing. The front tyre lasts much longer.

Edit: just read your post properly and seen that its turbo time not road miles.

If you have older tyres that just look a bit dull the AA tyre dressing spray or I'm sure any similar product for making car tyres look like new also does a great job with bicycle tyres too. It's £1.99 in Home Bargains and I seem to remember something similar in Poundland. The spray bit is a bit too broad for bike tyres, better to spray a bit in a container and brush in on with old toothbrush or similar.

If you have older tyres that just look a bit dull the AA tyre dressing spray or I'm sure any similar product for making car tyres look like new also does a great job with bicycle tyres too. It's £1.99 in Home Bargains and I seem to remember something similar in Poundland. The spray bit is a bit too broad for bike tyres, better to spray a bit in a container and brush in on with old toothbrush or similar.
but wot's the point of "dressing" bike tyres?
Do you do dressage on your bike?
The Tango?

Top Bottom