How long do you stop for?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I went for my ride today ( 41 miles) I only stopped for 10 minutes, had a drink and a bar of chocolate and then made my way back. Is that long enough to rest your legs? I must admit I feel knackered now.
Am I right in thinking that if you stop for too long, your muscles will go cold again and it will be harder to get re-started?

Ccchicane

I try not to stop at all because I do feel it let's your muscles cool and makes it harder to get started again, a break for me is usually slowly pedalling round a car park whilst eating a banana and having a drink!

Drago

Legendary Member
If the traffic is heavy I pull over when having a swig of drinkie just for safeties sake, but otherwise dont stop. Stopping is for weaklings and WWW's!

MarkF

Guru
Stops without the possibility of consuming alcohol are surprisingly short, maybe 5 minutes, I get bored. Stops at pubs can last a l.o.n.g time and often signal the end of any meaningful pedaling.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
More importantly, I don't see how you would eat a large slice of chocolate cake without stopping. ^_^
Well said, forgot about the cake, how could I? :rolleyes:

endoman

club rides we have cafe stop, about 40 minutes or so, but then the dreaded " Cafe legs" for 10 minutes afterwards. Solo or training rides I rarely stop unless getting water refill etc.

snorri

Legendary Member
I'm with Pat"5mph" on this, it would be a dull 40 miles without seeing a few things worthy of a stop and closer inspection.
On your next 40 miler instead of stopping once for 10 minutes, stop twice for five minute breaks and see if that helps.
(this would not entitle you to two bars of chocolate;) )

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Solo rides of that distance i would not stop , drinking and gobbling a bar of somekind on the move.A sportive of 65-70 odd it would be 1 stop to grab fuel/ drinks and a quick bio break then eat / drink on the move so max of 10 minutes stop time.
Club runs are normally 60-70 miles for me by the time you add in getting to the meet up point (only 5 miles) and we have a cake stop , never timed it TBH, enough time for a steady coffe+ cake .

doug

Veteran
For rides up to 50miles I normally don't stop (except for traffic lights ^_^), longer than that I generally stop long enough for a pee break

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Same as doug above, anything less than 60miles I tend not to stop at all. Longer rides (usually now a 100miles) I will stop at a petrol station or shop for a quick snack and a gel, no longer than 10mins otherwise you get cold and stiff.

Only exception is club runs or if my route takes me past my favorite coffee shop.... the draw of their banoffee pie is just TOO strong to resist.

Top Bottom