How long does a journey have to be before you can call it 'touring'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And most of that weight was the Canon-F1. You could drive nails with that thing, and take pictures of your work afterwards. A fine camera. Great for touring, although I think I carried mine only once. I usually carried Russian range-finder cameras and lenses.
Canon made loads of excellent FD mount lenses. I didn't get on with the cameras but you can't argue with the pro grade L optics. You can now get adapters for digital cameras with short rear focus distance such as four thirds system ( Olympus/Panasonic).

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
Tour of Lombardy: 1 day. Tour de France: 21 days. Tour de force: anything that gets you out of breath.

dodgy

Interesting thread. For me, a tour is something that requires a bit of planning, logistics, food and overnight stays.
But there are no rules are there?
Looking forward to next year when I can do some actual touring, can't wait.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Your tent was in a saddle bag?
What tent? We just kipped out wherever we could. If you know how to look you can find shelter in many places including the odd cave. Mostly we found old buildings although in one case it was a new house being built in Aberfoyle. We arrived late and left early. On Skye we found a road menders caravan with a stove and coal so that was a warm night. The following day we went into Portree for food and found everything [on a Thursday] shut apart from a baker with only gingerbread for sale. It was a "Fast Day" apparently. This was in the early 1950's I think. We scrounged food and got free fish on Skye as well as potatoes. Sleeping gear was an old army blanket and cycle cape. The secret to keeping warm was a fire which was kept going all night. There was also a bag of oatmeal which made porridge for breakfast. Happy days with few cares.

Top Bottom