How long does a journey have to be before you can call it 'touring'?

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by nickAKA, 3 Jun 2019.

1. nickAKA

nickAKA Senior Member

I ask purely because I'm thinking of organising a saunter from Manchester to Amsterdam via the Hull-Rotterdam ferry with a some mates... once we're out of Greater Manchester it's a flat 160 miles split 60/40 by an overnight on the ferry, a night or two in the 'Dam & then back... it's not a problem distance-wise (for me) but it'll feel like a "boys own" adventure, especially for the newer riders.
    I intend travelling pretty light, one change of clothes (civvies) in a single pannier or a backpack and will be advising everyone else do the same.
    The plan is to make this the first of many if it goes to plan, increasing the distances until it's about the journey rather than the destination.
    I'd like to refer to it as a 'tour' mainly to appeal to those who doubt their own capacity to do it but it'll probably be laughed off by the mile munchers!

2. Profpointy

Profpointy Guru

My thoughts are a trip becomes a tour once you stop overnight in two or more different places.

3. alicat

alicat Guru

Sounds plenty long enough for a tour to me.

4. MichaelW2

MichaelW2 Veteran

I regard any ride with one or more meal stops as a tour.

5. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

There are day tours and err....longer tours:smile:.
    Just ignore the sneerers who perhaps themselves have never toured internationally^_^.

6. Sixmile

Sixmile Über Member

I'd be interested in hearing more about your route, especially the Manchester to Hull bit. This morning I was thinking about what I'd like to do for our next family tour and thought about Belfast to Dublin to Holyhead to Chester to Hull to Rotterdam then a week or so in Holland before flying home. The only bit i wouldn't be familiar with is the Chester to Hull section.

nickAKA likes this.
  7. lane

lane Über Member

I usually go away each year three days cycling and two overnights never occured to me that it's not a tour.

8. Yellow Saddle

Yellow Saddle Veteran

I toured to Tesco this morning for a 1/2 litre of milk.

9. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

I would argue that asking people do do 100 miles in a day with luggage, then a crappy night sleep on a ferry and another 60 the next day might be a bit much for a 'newer rider'. You want to make it fun, not a chore.

10. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

If I cycled 100 miles with luggage I can guarantee that I'd sleep so well that I would appear dead to the casual observer!

11. johnblack

johnblack Well-Known Member

If you've got panniers, it's a tour.

12. KneesUp

KneesUp Veteran

Similar to @Yellow Saddle , I tour to work 5 times a week :-)

13. Ice2911

Ice2911 Über Member

Definitely a tour. I’d recommend that riders don’t carry things in a back pack for those distances. Lots of alternatives and can be relatively cheap- seat packs and frame packs if they don’t have racks and panniers. Holland is great for cycling I’m sure you will enjoy it there. If you can, a cabin on ferry will give you a better nights sleep than in the lounge areas ( I’ve tried it both ways and know which I prefer). Enjoy, have fun and remember to enjoy the ride.

14. Glow worm

Glow worm Guru

I have a short tour coming up at the end of the month over a week or so- here to Newhaven, ferry to Dieppe then ride to Hook of Holland, then ferry, then Harwich back to here. I've been describing it as a mini-tour as it's only about 450 miles or so, and hotels not camping, which is nowt compared to some of the tours I've read by folks on here and in various books. I don't really feel anything like in that league (yet!) so mini- tour seems about right to me.

Last edited: 3 Jun 2019
  15. 2 or more consecutive full days is a tour, in my book.

Gravity Aided and lane like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice