How long does a journey have to be before you can call it 'touring'?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickAKA

Über Member
I ask purely because I'm thinking of organising a saunter from Manchester to Amsterdam via the Hull-Rotterdam ferry with a some mates... once we're out of Greater Manchester it's a flat 160 miles split 60/40 by an overnight on the ferry, a night or two in the 'Dam & then back... it's not a problem distance-wise (for me) but it'll feel like a "boys own" adventure, especially for the newer riders.
I intend travelling pretty light, one change of clothes (civvies) in a single pannier or a backpack and will be advising everyone else do the same.
The plan is to make this the first of many if it goes to plan, increasing the distances until it's about the journey rather than the destination.
I'd like to refer to it as a 'tour' mainly to appeal to those who doubt their own capacity to do it but it'll probably be laughed off by the mile munchers!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
My thoughts are a trip becomes a tour once you stop overnight in two or more different places.

Sixmile

Veteran
I ask purely because I'm thinking of organising a saunter from Manchester to Amsterdam via the Hull-Rotterdam ferry with a some mates... once we're out of Greater Manchester it's a flat 160 miles split 60/40 by an overnight on the ferry, a night or two in the 'Dam & then back... it's not a problem distance-wise (for me) but it'll feel like a "boys own" adventure, especially for the newer riders.
I intend travelling pretty light, one change of clothes (civvies) in a single pannier or a backpack and will be advising everyone else do the same.
The plan is to make this the first of many if it goes to plan, increasing the distances until it's about the journey rather than the destination.
I'd like to refer to it as a 'tour' mainly to appeal to those who doubt their own capacity to do it but it'll probably be laughed off by the mile munchers!

I'd be interested in hearing more about your route, especially the Manchester to Hull bit. This morning I was thinking about what I'd like to do for our next family tour and thought about Belfast to Dublin to Holyhead to Chester to Hull to Rotterdam then a week or so in Holland before flying home. The only bit i wouldn't be familiar with is the Chester to Hull section.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would argue that asking people do do 100 miles in a day with luggage, then a crappy night sleep on a ferry and another 60 the next day might be a bit much for a 'newer rider'. You want to make it fun, not a chore.

Ice2911

Über Member
Definitely a tour. I’d recommend that riders don’t carry things in a back pack for those distances. Lots of alternatives and can be relatively cheap- seat packs and frame packs if they don’t have racks and panniers. Holland is great for cycling I’m sure you will enjoy it there. If you can, a cabin on ferry will give you a better nights sleep than in the lounge areas ( I’ve tried it both ways and know which I prefer). Enjoy, have fun and remember to enjoy the ride.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I have a short tour coming up at the end of the month over a week or so- here to Newhaven, ferry to Dieppe then ride to Hook of Holland, then ferry, then Harwich back to here. I've been describing it as a mini-tour as it's only about 450 miles or so, and hotels not camping, which is nowt compared to some of the tours I've read by folks on here and in various books. I don't really feel anything like in that league (yet!) so mini- tour seems about right to me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom