How long for recovery time after a long ride.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi to all good members.
I couldn't of picked the worst days of the year to go long distance cycling but with work commitments I didn't really have a choice of picking my days.
On Monday I cycled 70 miles across Wales and did the return journey on Wednesday when the outside temp was hovering around 30. Since the rides I haven't ventured out on the bike after reading, you need some time for your legs to recover, but in all honesty my legs feel fine. It's the rest of me that feels under par. Since I've got back I've had absolutely no energy what so ever in me and find doing the simplest things a chore. Is this a normal reaction to cycling a great few miles ( well for me anyway) and how long should feeling like this last for. I was thinking of buying some protein drinks to aid recovery but haven't got round to it yet. I don't know whether it's just a bug I've picked up or if it's down to the more intense cycling I've done more recently.
All the best.
Johnny

Lee_M

Guru
what did you eat during the rides and what after?

100 miles over two days isn't that much, although i'm sure it felt it, and well done, so if you're struggling it's probably down to poor nutrition.

I've cycled 125 miles and then gone on a 50 mile recovery the day after, but I've also eaten a horse or three to put the energy back

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
Thanks for your replies both. I'm not what you would call an ultra fit cyclist ( just a practicing one ) and my diet is far from perfect..
The mid day sun on Wednesday was pretty intense and was sweating buckets on the way home. The last few days though I have felt really drained and somewhat light headed. It's frustrating because I'm itching to get back out on the bike.

boydj

Legendary Member
There's nothing to stop you going out on your bike - just take it easy, don't go too far and make sure you are well fuelled and hydrated.

Sharky

Guru
Sometimes, it's just your brain playing mind games. After a couple of days hard riding, it's just trying to protect the body from more strain. Just force yourself to get out for a very short ( < 1 hr) ride. Unless there is something seriously wrong, the brain will stop sending out the defensive messages and you feel lively again after a few miles.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I'll take your good advice and get back out tomorrow on the bike and enjoy a leisurely ride out somewhere. It's a strange old feeling being off it for a few days. ( bike withdrawal symptoms lol )

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'll take your good advice and get back out tomorrow on the bike and enjoy a leisurely ride out somewhere. It's a strange old feeling being off it for a few days. ( bike withdrawal symptoms lol )
I know that feeling i was off the bike last week after my off and by about thursday i was going a bit crazy.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
" CyberNight"
It really feels like your missing out on life , not going out for a few days. Hope you're feeling better buddy.

huggy

Monday and Wednesday were stupidly hot. I doubt you could have drank enough and even if you did have enough water, unless you dosed it with salt you will have messed your electrolyte balance. Get some electrolyte tabs and drink.

OP
OP
johnnyb47

johnnyb47

Guru
I've just been watching the documentary on Mark Beaumont ( The man who cycled round the world).
It certainly puts my comments " above" into insignificant perspective after seeing what he achieved. What an amazing achievement he managed ,,

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I rode forty miles in the hot sun last Saturday. It was tougher than some hundreds I've ridden!

Drink plenty, eat well. Don't bother with processed recovery drinks - you've not done 200km at pro speeds and you've not got a nutritionist figuring out the right combination you need. Just get some protein (nuts, seeds, dairy, fish or meat if you eat them) down your neck within twenty minutes of stopping.

Alan O

Über Member
I agree with what others have said in that you probably didn't get enough fluid, electrolyte salts and/or kcals. It's very easy to underestimate your fluid needs generally, but especially in hot weather, even if you think you're drinking enough. I find that if I don't get enough fuel and water, I can feel exhausted for a couple of days afterwards (usually, actually, worse the day after the day after*), but if I've eaten and drunk enough I usually feel fine.

I also agree that you don't need any fancy protein drinks - just get yourself on the outside of a good dinner.

(*It's best if I do strenuous exercise on a Saturday, so I feel at my worst at work on Monday when nobody can tell the difference :rolleyes:)

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Ignore the scoffers who say 140 miles is nothing. It's a lot especially for someone older or less accustomed to mileage. I find that it takes a week or so fully to recover from a long hard ride even if I may have taken plenty of energy drinks and supplements to get me through the actual ride. Celebrate your achievement, eat and drink well and don't feel pressured to cycle until you're ready.

Top Bottom