How long have you been at it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Since I was a kid, like 40 years ago.
Been commuting for 24 years.
Didn't enter a race until I was 37- 7 years ago- (a time trial), and took up cyclocross at 41 (although I seem to have retired from sport cycling this year but I've been busy with other stuff)

Lisa21

Mooching.............
I am often repeating but not squally my posts!
Anyway, I think you're just picking on me now :sad:
squally??? You got your own language now too??^_^

Am not picking on you hun:hugs:just teasing:angel:

sidevalve

Über Member
Used to ride a lot from being about 4 through to 25 ish. Then more or less stopped, although I fixed bikes for friends I never rode much. Then a year ago [now at 55] I saw the light, fixed up a nice old Dawes and started riding again. The milage is much less now than it used to be but it's just as much fun.

ulidia2012

Regular
Used to ride loads as a child, I also had a Grifter which is still in my mums garage and after coming back to the sport a few weeks ago aged 38 would seriously like to have a big comfy saddle like that on my new road bike. Up to the age of 18 I used to cycle to cricket/rugby practice 3 nights a week along busy roads on an old Peugot racing bike. 10 miles there, 10 miles back, no helmet, lights, spare tube, tools, water bottles. Was fun and so much simpler.

Hope my comeback is half as much fun.

Cheshire Celt

Legend
I bought a bike about 6 weeks ago but due to work and a virus this is my first full week riding this week I completed a 30 miler and I am just short of 100 miles for this week , it's been and expensive week and grand on a new bike and to shoes and shorts . Sshhhh don't tell the wife lol

byegad

Legendary Member
I started at 9 on my mum's bike which was an ols Sun moped with engine and assorted accoutrements taken off. It weighed a ton had huge tyres and was single speed with a drum front brake and back pedal drum rear brake. It not so much ran over bumps as flattened them! :banghead: Then I got a Dawes roadster with dynamo and SA three speed for passing the 11+. This was a good saving by my parents as we lived just under 3 miles as the crow flies from the school and so I would have been paying seven years worth of bus fares! The kids in the next street got free bus passes.

When I went to college at 18 I got a motorbike and returned to cycling at 25 when I could at last afford a bike. It was a Raleigh Shopper!!!! Then kids came along and I bought a cheapish Raleigh tourer to commute to work, 13 hilly miles each way so not every day but it all saved money.

I had a 10 year lay off due to ill health and returned to cycling 12 years ago again commuting to work at first 12 miles each way then 16. When I retired at 55 my retirement present from work was a folding bike. Sadly a bout of vertigo put paid to my two wheel riding :bicycle: shortly afterwards so, having by that time 9 cycles, 7 uprights of various types, a recumbent bike and a recumbent trike I started selling bikes. At 62 I now own three trikes :cycle: with little ambition or need for more I suspect as I fall into decrepitude they will too. It's a matter of which fails first.

D

Deleted member 20519

Less than 6 months, rode a single speed when I was really young. Getting back into it now.

Got my first bike when I was 9. Cycled around sometimes recklessly until I went to Uni then dropped it. Bought a bike to get back into shape shortly after my daughter was born and used it on and off for about three years. Lapsed for thirty years until last October when I bought a second-hand bike for fifty quid and have been getting about on it locally quite a bit. Want to be able to venture further afield but it's hill round here. I'm 58 now.

lulubel

Über Member
I'm 38, and started cycling regularly as an adult about 5 years ago (although I did stop for nearly a year during that time). I went from MTB to cheap hybrid to road bike, and now ride a cyclocross/tourer/road bike that just needs a change of wheels and the addition/removal of racks and/or mudguards to switch between roles.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been cycling since I was about 3 and have never been without a bike since, but only started taking it seriously in about 2000 when I began commuting to work by bike. Since then my idea of a long ride has gone from a 5 or 6 mile pootle to a 50 odd mile tour.
I'm 39 this month and slightly regret I didn't step up to bigger distances sooner.

got a hybrid about 3 years ago and then moved to a road bike year later and gave the hybrid to sister. my mileage is small compared to others on the forum but i only do it for fitness and leisure and not for commuting. I took up cycling because i wanted something to do outdoors (away from computer) and low impact, due to medical problems i have had in the last 5 years.

in the last 3 years i have done:
2010 = 216.6 miles (Raleigh Urban 2)
2011 = 211.6 miles(Verenti Rhigos 3)
2012 = 224.3 miles so far (Cube Agree SL)

i did the normal cycling when i was a kid on a MTB

Seem to have cycled forever now, not quite 71 years of age now, Started at about 10 years of age , used the bike for school, things were good for us kids, parents used to let us go where we wanted, as long as we got home for tea of we would go armed with a packet of Sandwiches and a bottle of Tizer, though nothing of cycling all over the Selsey/ Chichester area, then at 13 we used to go off cycling to the local youth hostels, no silly age rules in those days and no worries of stranger danger. During my army days used to cycle a lot, then I found cycle touring, and the world become my aim, Africa, South East Asia , Middle east, Europe, now I just relax, and just tour around Britain, and dream of the adventures I have done.

Top Bottom