How long have you been at it ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lisa21

Mooching.............
Just over 3 years and :unsure: *cough*40 years old :blush:
untitled.png

MattHB

Proud Daddy
I'm 38, started cycling (except as a spotty youngster) last October.. 3 stone and 3000 miles ago

chipmonster

I started when i was 33, been at it for 5 years now 38.

I just got myself a single speed (cast off from a collegue), not took it for a spin yet as it needs a new wheel. It should be intresting to see how i do in Blackburn which is full of hills!

phillc

Veteran
In my mid fifties, Been commuting on the same Diamondback hybrid bike for about fifteen years, on its last leg now. After browsing this forum have got myself a Triban3 and going to start doing some pleasure cycling along Sustran route 24 as its nearly outside my back door.

happy cycling
phill.

theloafer

Legendary Member
just turned 57 started i think about 1978 first bike was a catalogue jobbie a made from girders..:laugh: after the first bigish ride (50+) got back threw it in the back garden and swore down i would never ride a bike again:laugh:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Like most, as a kid I was never off a bike. Used to go to the local tip to pick up old bikes to fettle and ride. Had the usual for a 70's kid. a Chopper (Yellow) and a Grifter. Joined a road club in my teens, gave that up quickly as didn't really like it. But stayed cycling until I was 24, commuting to work. Bike got stolen, only one I had so just didn't bother getting another one. Job I got (Band tour management) meant was away from home a lot and also had a young child taking up a lot of time so cycling was forgotten about. Roll on a few years, turned 40. Bit of a mid life crisis. Too much booze, drugs, food and the good life had taken it's toll. I was a porky unfit 15 and half stone. Needed to do something about it. Had just moved to a new house which was a mile and a half from the nearest train station. So decided to get a bike again. Thinking it would be, well.... just like riding a bike. Getting to the station was easy enough, it was down hill. Getting back was tough. 7 minute ride, half hour to recover. Mrs Ian thought I was going to have a heart attack by the way I looked. But I kept it up. The cycling distances got longer and longer. Crap food and booze took a back seat (drugs was given up years ago). The weight dropped off and am now more fitter then since my early 20's. since turning 40 I have averaged over 10,000 miles cycled for the last 3 years and am target for the same this year. And a fully paid up member of the Mamil club and proud of it.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Started when I was three, from the age of seven I went out all weekend exploring on our bikes. Did cycling proficiency at school, paper round 7 days a week in all weathers in my early teens and cycled to all my jobs as a teenager. Went to uni in the 90's bike came with me. Remember cycling back from Sheffield to Manchester over Winnats with a big rucksack aged 21, that hurt.
Always had a bike while working but the mileage dropped and the car was taking over. Had a high cholesterol test about 4 years ago, decided to start putting a bit more time in on the bike. Now fitter than I have ever been, cholesterol levels back to normal. Aged 41 commute all year round when ever work allows and spend many weekends cycling up in the Pennines or on the Cheshire plain doing some serious mileage and loving every minute of it. ^_^

RAYMOND

47, had a bike all the time mainly for work,
ONLY HAD A DECENT ROAD BIKE 2 YEARS, and love it,wish i'd done it years ago

paddy01

Like most cycled everywhere as a kid. Moved to Devon when I was 13 and soon discovered mountain biking. Did that until about 18/19 including racing cross country, sponsored by local bike shop etc.

At 18/19, cars, motorbikes, girls and beer took over and didn't really ride again until I hit my 30's when a back injury put paid to competitive badminton so had to cast around for something non-impact as weight was climbing and fitness was errr lacking. Rescued my old Klein mtb from a mates back garden who I'd sold it too years ago and got back to it.

Bought my first road bike in around 2008 after 1 too many crashes on the MTB chasing young whippets from the local shop just before I was to get hitched, a Trek 1.2 Triple, then last year added a Trek Madone 4.5 compact double. The Klein I stripped down and powder coated then turned into a single speed just for pootling along the beach and local bike paths.

Haven't ridden much at all this year after birth of first sprog in Nov 2011 but aiming to get a few commutes in and start getting the miles in again. Still trying to get my first 100 miler in, got to 80 on a charity ride last year before me legs packed up on the ride home after the event :biggrin:

rollinstok

cycled from childhood until leaving school
started again at 37 by borrowing my sons mtb which gave me the bug to buy my own bike
had a few years break through illness but am now 54 and still pretty keen

Top Bottom