How long is your journey to work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
7 miles each way. 25 - 30 minutes depending on choice of bike, how much stuff I'm carrying, and how late I am.

rnscotch

Veteran
15 miles each way anywhere between 55 mins - 75 mins have a few hills to tackle plus i have to cross through the middle of glasgow city centre so lights galore.

And i am doing it on a MTB (with slicks of course ;))

First time i did this journey about 18 months ago it took me 1 hour and 40 mins on a MTB with knobbly tyres.. lol

Around six takes about 40 mins to work and thirty mins (near enough) home.Mostly due to the fact i have some hills the size of the matahorne to climb and i'm as healthy as a decomposing donkey underneath a heated blanket and i can just about reach my handlebars (plus all the gear i need for work weighs a ton) When i was young and care free i had a raleigh chopper (banna flavoured of course) that i could out ride any racer on now i get overtaken by old folks sigh One day i will be able to climb a hill with out the need for an oxygen tank and sherpas but till then i'll push push push
(yes i know that my bike is to big but it was love at first sight and you know what they say, big is beautiful)

peanut

rnscotch said:
15 miles each way anywhere between 55 mins - 75 mins have a few hills to tackle plus i have to cross through the middle of glasgow city centre so lights galore.

And i am doing it on a MTB (with slicks of course :thumbsup:)

First time i did this journey about 18 months ago it took me 1 hour and 40 mins on a MTB with knobbly tyres.. lol

crikey ;) what do you when you get to work ? sleep ?:becool:

some of these commute distances are extraordinary ....really making me feel like a lazy fat slob ..wait a minute ....I am a lazy fat slob :becool:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Well I work in lots of different locations, today I'm at the nearest site - it will take about 3 mins (3 sets of traffic lights - 2 of which will be red), to go about 3/4 of a mile down a big hill. Unfortunately it will take longer to come back up again! Its rare that I work that close though.

Other days can be upto 8 miles each way - hills lights etc will bump it up to 40 mins to an hour.

AdamBlade

6 miles each way taking 20-25 mins in the morning and 35-40 on the way home. Huge hill to come down but have got to go up it on way back. All done on a mtb with knobblies. Need to get them changed or the bike changed ;)

Graham O

To work, 3 miles in 9 minutes, all downhill ;)

To home, 9 miles in 40 minutes, all uphill :becool:

Maizie

Guru
10.3 miles each way, taking around 50 minutes. Usually quicker on the way home, which technically has slightly more uphill (there's and overall 20 metres of rise over the 10.3 miles!) but it's going home so of course I zoom as much as I can.
First commute took me an hour to get there, and an hour ten to get home (including stops for a drink/rest, which I don't need any more). I have just counted and I have actually only commuted 14 times so far which is pitiful for someone who started in June (I aim at twice a week, but holidays, illness and stupid late meetings have got in my way, grrr).

I'd love to get it to 40 minutes. Whether that'll be possible on my mtb with slicks I don't know, at the moment I blame the bike not my own unfitness ;)

L3EOO

i commute 10miles each way, from East London (Hackney) to West London (North Acton) takes me about 50mins, Manage to go quite fast but cant seem to get the time down!!

J4CKO

Ok, we have the distances, but typically, how many days a week ?

I am averaging 4 or 5 days a week but am aiming to do 5 consistently, usually, earlier on it was down to laziness and it seemed a bigger deal back then, now it just seems normal, havign some waterproofs helps.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Average is 4 full days. Tend to leave it at home if I know I may be out after work on a Friday or like last week... left it at the office and had a skinfull on Thursday night. Bus into work on Friday and cycled home ;-)

Top Bottom