How long to train for 100km ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

si_c

Guru
Physically you are capable of riding that distance now - with a little bit of care around what you're eating to ensure that you have the energy to ride that distance - essentially think about having lunch and a big slice of cake halfway and a bag of jelly babies for the ride as well as a bottle or two of water.

The biggest thing is going to be how fast you ride - by that I mean a 100km ride at 15mph average speed is 4 hours at 10mph it's 6 hours riding time. If you get a sore arse after an hour then expecting a six hour ride to be comfortable is unrealistic. My suggestion would be at this point not to think about distance at all but to think of time in the saddle - so if the longest ride you have done so far is 3 hours then go and do a 2 hour and 3 hour ride this week a 2 and 4 hour ride next week and 3hour and 5 the week after. Do the shorter rides at the pace you expect to do on the day and the longer rides at a slightly slower pace. Then have a week's break to recover - maybe do a couple of easy 1 hour rides if you feel like it.

That should give you the comfort to know that you can ride the full distance without any difficulty, but as @ColinJ says it's mostly a mental exercise.

OP
OP
A

Anonymous1502

In reality if you have done 64km I expect you could do 100km right away. If you have 4 weeks then I wouldn't do much in the final week before the big day. If you add 10km onto your next ride to do 75km, then add just 5km onto the next two weeks ride you will be up to 85km. Have a week's rest and then do the 100km. Can really see it being a problem. Do another couple of shorter rides, say 20km, during the week. Good luck.
Today I've done a 50km ride but I still had lots of energy to continue going for at least 10km easily, I just 2, 5 minute breaks and one energy gel. I'll try do 65 or 70km on the next ride. I'll take your advice and just stick to short 20km rides in my final week before the 100km ride.

Top Bottom