Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 15-30 minutes

• 30min - 1 hour

• More than 1 hour

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

beanzontoast said:
My last test ride didn't happen as I was told by the LBS that they don't 'do' test rides.

I don't 'do' that LBS any more.

Thats bizarre that.

I recall working in a mates shop and I took the value of the bike then the bloke went for a spin up the road.

Came back and said he'll take it :?:

Keith Oates

Janner
I gave the last bike hat I bought about a 10 minutes ride but mainly to check out the gears. The shortest one I ever had was when I bought the TCR, they let me ride but only INSIDE the shop. It was a fairly big shop and they had a walkway that was really a biggish oval but the distance could not have been more that 50 metres. I wanted the bike anyway so I bought it and still enjoy the rides I do on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I bought my last bike (my dearest), I was never offered a test ride but then again I never asked. The bike I bought before (my cheapest :?:smile: I was offered a test ride. Different shops though.
However for the last bike which I didn't test ride the shop manager spent more time with me and was spot on almost with the recommendations of a subsequent bike fit. (The ideal bike according to the bike fit would have 40, not 42cm bars and the cranks would be 170 not 172.5mm)

BTW how does the slightly longer crank affect the bike fit recommended saddle height?

Keith Oates

Janner
<BTW how does the slightly longer crank affect the bike fit recommended saddle height?>

It should be lowered slightly, I guess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.H

Über Member
Thorn gave me a 100 day test ride.
Hewitts gave me an hour test ride on the fitting jig.
And my toy bike I built it up from a cheap frame, bought using the Hewitts information.

girofan

With the so-called Credit Crunch taking hold bike retailers will have to start getting real about test rides. If you wish to buy a bike, and they refuse a test take your money elsewhere. They will soon adapt if we all walk away!

P.H

Über Member
girofan said:
If you wish to buy a bike, and they refuse a test take your money elsewhere.

The problem is too many people have the test ride and still take their money elsewhere, usually the internet. Some people I know can't even see anything wrong in this.

asterix

Comrade Member
My longer test ride is clearly very unusual.

Maybe the fact that i had bought a custom bike previously from a reputable firm and found it a dud made me more cautious.

This time I was collecting the bike from Roberts, 200 miles away and didn't want to find anything wrong later when it was too late. As it happened, the bike has been exceptionally good from day 1. Nevertheless, when I next buy a bike I will still be just as cautious!

Top Bottom