How many are still working and what do you do?.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm still delivering many tons of stuff to Morrisons stores, 4 days a week, up to 12 hours a day.

gbb

Legendary Member
Maintenance engineer in a fruit packhouse, customers include M&S and the Co-op.​
I had 2 weeks self isolating after family members suddenly developed coughs which turned out to be no more than that but back to work now and not particually happy. Job is good, no problem there but with damaged lungs I dont relish being there. If they sent me home on 80%, I'd jump at it. My wife isnt happy either with me working.​
Shes a TA in a SEN school, while she is off as in the vulnerable group shes still in contact with colleagues who aren't happy either...teachers are nowhere to be seen, all working from home while the TAs are left doing all the work...and being exposed to danger.​
Anyone working should be recognised, whatever ther job, they're all putting themselves at risk.​

PaulB

Legendary Member
Sales of medical equipment. We're pretty much OK as we're a UK based family company and most of our products are sourced and manufactured here. Obviously there's a big need for it but not our staple products as they are primarily for routine theatre operations and most of them have been cancelled while we wait for the tsunami of Covd-19 cases to strike. We've been assured we're OK until at least the end of this month but then we should accept the slight possibility we'll be furloughed. If that's the case, we'll be keeping our jobs but paid up to £2,500 with another 20% paid by the company. This has been painted as a worst case scenario but we've been asked to see this as a paid holiday during which time we can take any other paid employment we want. Most of us are medically trained so there's the option of helping out on the front line.

My wife is in the unenviable position of being unable to be furloughed by virtue of being a senior nurse but she's been informed she'll be needed on the front line of the front line (unable to say for reasons of sensitivity) beginning next weekend. She's sick children now (always has been) but this service is going to be put on hold 'for the greater good'!

gbb

Legendary Member
We supply product to Banks, Building Societies, Post Offices etc. We have supplied counter hamper screens to Santander for years. We are now busier than ever having developed a free standing Screen/sneeze guard, and another guard spanning existing screens.
I see our local Co-op have installed temporary but proper looking screens, perhaps made by your company ?

OP
OP
keithmac

keithmac

Guru
Maintenance engineer in a fruit packhouse, customers include M&S and the Co-op.​
I had 2 weeks self isolating after family members suddenly developed coughs which turned out to be no more than that but back to work now and not particually happy. Job is good, no problem there but with damaged lungs I dont relish being there. If they sent me home on 80%, I'd jump at it. My wife isnt happy either with me working.​
Shes a TA in a SEN school, while she is off as in the vulnerable group shes still in contact with colleagues who aren't happy either...teachers are nowhere to be seen, all working from home while the TAs are left doing all the work...and being exposed to danger.​
Anyone working should be recognised, whatever ther job, they're all putting themselves at risk.​

My wife does the same job SEN for post 16 now with disabilities. She may be back into work next week on a rota basis, they still haven't said yes or no to tomorrow!.

gbb

Legendary Member
My wife does the same job SEN for post 16 now with disabilities. She may be back into work next week on a rota basis, they still haven't said yes or no to tomorrow!.
At my wifes school it's been kept open for children of front line workers and normal student roll is around 100, that's cut to 15 but only around 5 or 6 children are actually attending so they're rotating the staff to keep it staffed but not exposing everyone for such low numbers

screenman

Legendary Member

My son is a deputy head in work, his wife is a teacher in work, the TAs where the first out. Rotating staff and in next week.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Part of a team supporting the IT systems of an essential government agency. A tiny proportion of the office staff were already able to work from home and all last week we’ve been busy making the necessary changes to the infrastructure to allow a lot more to work from home, and rebuilding kit so they can take mini-desktops away as we don’t have hundreds of laptops. Some people will still have to stay at the office as we have one network which is airgapped and for security reasons cannot be accessed remotely. It’s a small enough number that safe distancing will not be a problem for them.

Top Bottom